Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.

Close
Traca

Rec: Espresso Tofee with Chocolate & Nibs

Veteran Member
6492 posts

Options

Posted to Thread #5312 at 8:01 pm on Jan 14, 2007

These are showy and easy to make. I pass out to friends in a little bag, tied with a fun ribbon. Many call to say they ate it all in one sitting!

Espresso Toffee with Chocolate & Nibs,
adapted from Bon Appetit (Coffee Walnut Toffee)

2 cups walnuts
1 ¼ cups (2 ½ sticks) unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup packed golden brown sugar
2 tsp instant espresso powder
½ tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp salt
1/3 cup water
1 Tbs dark unsulfured molasses
9 ounces fine-quality Semi-sweet chocolate, finely chopped (I use a local brand: Dilletante)
1/4 cup toasted cocoa nibs (I use Del-ray), easily omitted
Kosher salt for sprinkling*

*I recommend using the salt...it compliments the sweet from the tofee & chocolate, & bitterness from the nibs.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spread walnuts on a cookie sheet and toast in the oven until fragrant, about 5-10 minutes, making sure they don’t burn. Allow to cool for ten minutes; then coarsely chop. Remove 1 ½ cups to a bowl. Finely chop remaining ½ cup; then place in a separate bowl.

Prepare your mise en place: in a medium bowl, combine sugars, espresso powder, cinnamon, and salt. In a small bowl or measuring cup, combine water and molasses. Place chopped chocolates in their own separate bowls.

Line a cookie sheet or jelly roll pan with a Silpat. Melt butter in a heavy 2 ½-quart saucepan over low heat. Add sugars, espresso powder, cinnamon, salt, water, and molasses; stir until sugar dissolves. Attach a clip-on candy thermometer to side of pan. Increase heat to medium; cook until thermometer registers 290 degrees (and no less!), stirring slowly but constantly and scraping bottom of pan with a wooden spatula, about 20 minutes.

Remove pan from heat, and quickly stir in 1 ½ cups coarsely chopped nuts. Immediately pour mixture onto prepared pan; do not scrape saucepan. Spread tofee with an off-set spatula to even 1/4" thickness. Sprinkle chocolate by generous handfulls over hot toffee. Let stand one minute. With your off-set spatula or a spoon, spread chocolate evenly over the top. Sprinkle with ½ cup finely chopped nuts & toasted nibs. Finish with a fine sprinkle of kosher salt over the still warm chocolate. Refrigerate until toffee is firm, about one hour. Break toffee into pieces.

Makes about two pounds. Can be made two weeks ahead and stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container. Serve cold or at room temperature.

You can't do anything about the length of your life, but you can do
something about its depth. - M

Other messages in this thread: