Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
REC: Blackberry Wine Cake from GayleMO
Joined: Jul 17, 2006
Posted to Thread #5351 at 5:28 pm on Jan 15, 2007
Gayle - your cake was wonderful! Gayle's notes are at the beginning, my notes at bottom...
You can also use your own basic white cake recipe and add the extras. Have done it both ways with no noticable difference. I do not use nuts and do not use tube pan. I bake this in layers and frost with a white frosting in which I add 1 pkg of raspberry Jello that I've softened in a small amount of heated wine. (1/4 - 1/3 c approx) You might need to add extra powdered sugar to thicken it up, or not. Would depend on your recipe, I think. There is never any left!
Blackberry Wine Cake
1 box white cake mix
1 box raspberry jello [I used 4 Tbl.]
1 cup blackberry wine - Manischewitz or Mogan David work well
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 stick butter
1 cup chopped nuts
CAKE - Grease and flour a tube pan. Place nuts in bottom of pan. Mix 1/2 cup wine with cake mix, Jello, eggs, and oil. Pour this mixture over the nuts. Bake at 325 F for 50 minutes or until done.
GLAZE - Add 1/2 cup wine to sugar and butter. Bring to a boil. Pierce several deep holes in top of warm cake and pour on glaze. Turn cake out after slightly cooled.
NOTE The taste of this cake improves after a day or two when stored at room temperature. It also freezes well.
Left out the nuts - It just wasn't needed.
I found the glaze waaayyy too sweet (although it didn't keep me from going back for "one more bite"). I did as suggested and made a frosting (cream cheese/butter/powdered sugar) with 2 tbl. raspberry jello dissolved in about 3 Tbl. heated wine. Then I sprinkled a little wine on the layers before frosting them - yum!
Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out, but I can usually shut her up with cookies!
Other messages in this thread:
- 5351. REC: Blackberry Wine Cake from GayleMO [IMAGE] - cheezz - 5:28pm on 01/15/07 (10)
- and here's a pic of the inside... [NT] [IMAGE] - cheezz - 5:28pm on 01/15/07
- This was a HUGE hit at our birthday party lunch today!! [NT] [IMAGE] - cheezz - 9:36pm on 01/15/07
- I love the idea for the frosting! So pretty. [NT] - DawnNYS - 9:51pm on 01/16/07
- This is so pretty....and perfect for V-Day rapidly approaching. - MarilynFL - 8:46pm on 01/15/07
- GayleMO - are you there for this question??! The Manischewitz is what I used - cheezz - 9:40pm on 01/15/07
- (Been without power in ICE STORM) So glad you enjoyed the cake! - GayleMO - 3:20pm on 01/16/07
- Hi Gayle... - Dawn_MO - 4:22pm on 01/16/07
- Found your email and responded, Dawn. Thanks! - GayleMO - 4:50pm on 01/16/07
- Gosh, stay safe all of you ice bound folks. Nothing worse than ice storms. [NT] - AngAk - 9:46pm on 01/16/07
- I hope warmth comes your way soon! [NT] - LisainLA - 12:27am on 01/17/07