Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Rec: 72 Market Street Meat Loaf with Meat Loaf Gravy...I'm always trying new recipes, but this one
Joined: Dec 9, 2005
Posted to Thread #5443 at 9:37 pm on Jan 24, 2007
is a favorite. I think the secret to good meat loaf is really good ground meat (or turkey, etc as Richard and Marilyn have noted). I love the ground beef and pork from Whole Foods.
72 Market Street Meat Loaf with Meat Loaf Gravy
This recipe by 72's first chef, Leonard Schwartz, remains the restaurant's most popular dish. After you try it we are certain it will become one of your favorites at home as well. It's also great for sandwiches too!
1 tablespoon butter
3/4 cup minced green onion
3/4 cup minced white onion
1/2 cup minced carrot
1/2 cup minced celery
1/4 cup minced red bell pepper
1/4 cup minced green bell pepper
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cumin
3 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup half and half
1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
1/2 pound lean ground pork sausage, with no herbs or seasonings added
3 /4 cup prepared bread crumbs
Meat Loaf Gravy (recipe follows)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Heat the butter in a heavy skillet and add the green onion, white onion, carrots, celery, red bell pepper, green bell pepper, and garlic. Cook, stirring often, for 10 minutes, or until the moisture has evaporated. Cool.
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine the salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, nutmeg, cumin, and eggs and mix well. Add the ketchup and half and half. Blend thoroughly.
4. Add the ground beef, ground pork, bread crumbs, and the vegetable mixture. It might be easier to mix this with your hands.
5. Grease a loaf pan and add the meat mixture, pressing it into the corners. Put the loaf pan in a larger pan filled 1-inch-high with boiling water. Cook at 350 degrees F for 45 to 60 minutes. Let rest for 10 minutes before serving. Serve with Meat Loaf Gravy.
Serving Size: 6
Meat Loaf Gravy
2 tablespoons butter
4 shallots, minced
1 sprig thyme
1 bay leaf
Dash of crushed peppercorns
1/4 cup chopped red bell peppers
1/4 cup chopped yellow bell peppers
1 cup dry white wine
1 cup veal or beef stock
1 cup chicken stock
2 Roma tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and diced
Salt and pepper
1. In a heavy pan, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter, and sauté the shallots, thyme, bay leaf, peppercorns, and red and yellow bell peppers over medium-high heat for 3 minutes.
2. Add the wine and simmer over high heat until reduced by three-fourths, to make a glaze.
3. Add the beef stock and chicken stock, and simmer, uncovered, over high heat until reduced by one-fourth.
4. Add the tomatoes and bring to a slow simmer. Cook, covered, for 20 minutes.
5. Stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter and season with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Strain, discarding bay leaf and thyme before serving.
Serving Size: 10
Other messages in this thread:
- 5443. One of the Best Meat Loaves I have done - Sarah in Charleston - 4:08pm on 01/24/07 (16)
- Thanks Sarah. I'm still on a quest for the perfect meatloaf. [NT] - LisainLA - 4:35pm on 01/24/07
- Lisa, I thought I was the only person who never makes the same meatloaf twice! I'm usually... - Marianne - 5:24pm on 01/24/07
- Rec: Paul's Meatloaf from Brooklyn [NT] [LINK] - Richard in Cincy - 5:28pm on 01/24/07
- Rec: Fabulous Meatloaf - CathyZ from Kauai - 5:45pm on 01/24/07
- Thanks Cathy. We enjoyed this meatloaf for tonight's dinner. [NT] - Sylvia - 11:23pm on 01/24/07
- So did we! Great Meatloaf Cathy. This is a keeper for sure. [NT] - Richard in Cincy - 12:16am on 01/25/07
- wow- thanks, both of you! Glad you liked it. I will try the other recipes posted here too. [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 1:03am on 01/25/07
- This looks good. Thanks for sharing! [NT] - GeorgiaRose - 5:28pm on 01/24/07
- Sarah, we have been very pleased with her turkey meatloaf. - MarilynFL - 7:00pm on 01/24/07
- equally stunned and revolted... - Richard in Cincy - 9:08pm on 01/24/07
- I turn my food processor on and drop in hunks through the feed tube- perfect results! [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 1:01am on 01/25/07
- Rec: 72 Market Street Meat Loaf with Meat Loaf Gravy...I'm always trying new recipes, but this one [LINK] - Curious1 - 9:37pm on 01/24/07
- Oh my....this looks wonderful! [NT] - deb-in-MI - 10:30pm on 01/24/07
- Thanks to all for the recipes. DH was thrilled (yeah, sure) to learn that four new ML's await him. [NT] - Marianne - 8:18pm on 01/25/07
- You don't "have" to stop at four....check out this great thread with even more (hey, that rhymes). [NT] [LINK] - Pat-NoCal - 3:10pm on 01/26/07
- This one looks great! REC: Cornbread Stuffed Meatloaf [LINK] - Dawn_MO - 9:13pm on 01/28/07