Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
|Richard in Cincy||
Rec: Amazing Winter Stew
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #5538 at 10:16 pm on Jan 30, 2007
I reduced 4 gallons of water, 1 cup of dry sherry, 1 meaty turkey carcass and 1 meaty ham bone down to 3 quarts of defatted stock. To this I added a chopped head of garlic, a pound of shittake, porcini, portabello, and champignon mushrooms, a pound of pearl onions, a pound of roasted red bell peppers, 3 sprigs of rosemary, and a teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes.
Using some of the turkey fat, I sauteed 5 lbs of onions for an hour and a half on low heat until they were a deep golden carmelized jam, stirred them into the stew with a splash of cider vinegar, and simmered another 30 minutes.
Other messages in this thread:
- 5538. Rec: Amazing Winter Stew - Richard in Cincy - 10:16pm on 01/30/07 (5)
- sounds divine. [NT] - wildwoods - 10:37pm on 01/30/07
- oh my. Is that a pound total of mixed mushrooms? [NT] - AngAk - 11:19pm on 01/30/07
- I can certainly understand the "oh my". Wondering how you decided on the mushroom selection. [NT] - Marg CDN - 2:07am on 01/31/07
- Okay - so I have some really wonderful ham and turkey stocks in the freezer... - Music City Missy - 2:52am on 01/31/07
- answers... - Richard in Cincy - 2:51pm on 01/31/07