Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.

Close
Pat-NoCal

Here's one I like, Rec: The Queen’s Oats

Veteran Member
6168 posts

Options

Posted to Thread #626 at 12:56 am on Jan 30, 2006

The Queen’s Oats...a yummy granola

8 cups regular rolled oats
1-1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar, or a little less (makes a fairly sweet granola)
1-1/2 cups regular wheat germ
1/2 cup sesame, sunflower or other seeds
1/2 cup coconut or nuts, or both, as desired
1/2 cup unprocessed oat or wheat bran (optional, but healthy)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup honey or maple syrup
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
raisins or chopped dried fruits (optional)

Preheat oven to 325º. In a large bowl add all dry ingredients except raisins or dried fruit, stir to blend. In a saucepan heat oil, honey or maple syrup and vanilla just until bubbling. Pour over dry ingredients and mix thoroughly. Divide mixture between two lightly greased 10x15-inch rimmed baking sheets, spreading evenly (OR sometimes I just do it all in a big roasting pan -- easier to stir). Bake about 20 minutes or until coconut is lightly browned. Remove from oven and stir several times as grains cool to prevent sticking. (If you like your granola in chunks, don’t stir while it cools.) When cool, add raisins or other dried fruit. Store in an airtight container. Yield: about 16 cups

Notes from hAndyman:
Thanks for the recipe. I've been making it at least once every 2 weeks for a while now (and have only burned it once, thank goodness). I've tried it using maple syrup only once, deciding that it was a waste of good maple syrup (better to drizzle some on for that delicious maple flavor - that goes great on many cereals!). I routinely use 1 cup of brown sugar and half a cup of honey in order to lower calories and sweetness a bit, and add sesame, flax, poppy, pumpkin and millet seeds, (a couple tablespoons each) as well as pecans or almonds, oat or wheat bran, and coconut. I bake it undisturbed (ie without stirring) on Teflon non-stick sheets and break it up so it's chunky (people like to snack on the chunks). Everyone adds their own dried or fresh fruit as they wish, but dried cranberries are the most popular it seems, although I've tried cut up apricots, apples, etc. as well as fresh bananas and strawberries. It's a good recipe, and I haven't bought granola since trying it. I usually make a seed bread at the same time as I use many of the same ingredients in both recipes. I'm glad you posted the recipe, and happy I tried it! Cheers! Andy
2. ... and sunflower seeds too! nt (hAndyman)

Other messages in this thread: