Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.

Close
Dawn_MO

REC: Jane Brody's Polish Potato Casserole

Veteran Member
Dawnie2u@gmail.com
5503 posts

Options

Posted to Thread #5714 at 3:38 am on Feb 12, 2007

I used to make this recipe a couple times a week when I was feeding my family on $25 a week. It only uses a half pound of sausage and still it adds so much flavor. I would make double the sauce and perhaps add a layer of sauerkraut with the cabbage.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Polish Potato Casserole

Recipe By :Jane Brody/
"Jane Brody's Good Food Book: Living the High-Carbohydrate Way"
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Potatoes Sausage

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups skim or low-fat milk
1/4 teaspoon salt -- if desired
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
4 large potatoes -- peeled and sliced thin
1 large onion -- sliced thin
1/2 pound cabbage -- shredded
1/2 pound kielbasa

In a medium saucepan, melt the butter and stir in the flour. Cook the roux, stirring for 1 minute, and then gradually add the milk, stirring constantly to eliminate lumps.
Cook the mixture over moderately low heat, stirring it, until the sauce begins to thicken to the consistency of buttermilk. Stir in the salt, if desired, and pepper. Set the sauce aside.
Grease a 3 quart casserole. Spread one-third of the potato slices on the bottom. Distribute half the onion slices followed by half the cabbage and the kielbasa in layers
over the potatoes. Add one-third of the sauce. Repeat with another third of the potato slices, the rest of the onions, cabbage, and sausage, and another third of the
sauce. Top with the remaining potato slices and the remaining sauce.
Cover the casserole, and bake it in a 350 degree oven for 1 hour 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. If desired (and there is enough liquid in the casserole),
remove for the cover for the last 15 minutes of baking time.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Sometimes you just need to look reality in the eye, and deny it. �Garrison Keillor

Other messages in this thread: