Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.

Close
Heather_in_SF

This is a good one: Cold Ginger-Marinated Chicken with Soba Noodles and Cilantro Oil

Veteran Member
2836 posts

Options

Posted to Thread #5934 at 11:33 pm on Mar 1, 2007

From Karen/NoCal. I've been making this for years since she posted it on the old swap, sometimes using peaches instead of pears, and sometimes not doing the soba noodles at all! This is a great dish and it tastes so good, even in the winter.

Cold Ginger-Marinated Chicken with Soba Noodles and Cilantro Oil
Serves 4

4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
4 cups buckwheat soba noodles ( Blanch noodles in boiling water for 4 -5 minutes, drain)

Marinade:
4 tsp. Fresh ginger, minced
4 tsp. Soy sauce
1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil (I used 1/4 c or less)
1 cup ripe pears, diced

Blend all ingredients until smooth. Reserve 5 TBS Marinade (I reserved half) and set aside . Marinate chicken with remainder of sauce for at least 2 hours(I did it all day). Toss noodles with the reserved 5 TBS. Of marinade and set aside.

Cilantro Oil:
1 cup fresh cilantro
1 1/2 cups olive oil

Process fresh cilantro in food processor until finely minced. Add oil and store in glass jar at room temp until needed.

Presentation: Grill chicken until done and chill completely (I've also served it warm). Place seasoned soba noodles in center of each plate. Drizzle cilantro oil around the perimeter of plates. Slice chicken breast, starting at one end and go lengthwise to oppisite end, not cutting through the end completely. Fan the slices over the noodles. Garnish with a few more drops of cilantro oil and a few cilantro leaves. (HAL's notes - I added thinly shredded carrot and green onion and celery to the soba noodles)

Karen's notes: With the marinade and Cilantro oil, I reduced the oil considerably. I can't figure why you need 1 1/2 cups oil for 4 chicken breasts and another 1 1/2 cups for one cup of cilantro! I could not find the "buckwheat soba noodles" so used thin Asian noodles. We (hubby and I) loved this dish. Great for summer.

"Well-behaved women rarely make history."

LT Ulrich

Other messages in this thread: