Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.

Close
Curious1

Make your own corned beef

Veteran Member
7176 posts

Options

Posted to Thread #5958 at 2:09 pm on Mar 7, 2007

Cheezz, this recipe is from Bruce Aidells and Denis Kelly's Complete Meat Cookbook. I've made it several times and really like it. I have a 5 lb brisket flat from Sam's corning now, I started Sunday night.

I make one slight change, using 2/3 cup sugar to 8 cups water instead of 1 cup. I also use Penzeys corning spice, their pickling spice also yields good results.

This amount of brine is not quite enough for my container, I put the beef in and measure how much water it takes to cover it, then remove the beef wash the container and use fresh water for the brine. this time it took 1 and 1/2 times the amount. I use 1 and 1/2 times all the ingredients.

I really enjoy this process, have a fridge in my garage and a large, 18 qt plastic container from a restaurant supply store, so it's no big deal. However, Cook's Illustrated has a simpler recipe that takes only 5-7 days and uses a dry brine. I'm posting it next.

Make your own corned beef

It's not difficult to make your own corned beef, and the results are delicious. We suggest that you use brisket, but you can also use bottom round.

8 cups water, or more if necessary to cover the meat

1 1/4 cups kosher salt
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons pickling spices
1 6-8-pound whole beef brisket OR piece of bottom round, trimmed of excess fat

To cook the beef:

1 medium onion, spiked with 3 cloves
3 garlic cloves
1 carrot, coarsely chopped
1 celery rib, coarsely chopped
3 bay leaves
1 teaspoon peppercorns

Bring the water to a boil in a saucepan. Add the salt and sugar and stir to dissolve. Stir in the pickling spices. Let cool to room temperature, then refrigerate until cooled to 45 degrees F.

Pour the brine into a large bowl or crock and submerge the meat in it, making sure it stays under the surface by using a heavy plate as a weight. Refrigerate for 8 to 12 days. Stir the brine each day and turn the beef occasionally.

To cook the corned beef, remove the meat from the brine and put it in a large pot. Cover with water and add the vegetables, bay leaves, and peppercorns. Simmer over low heat until tender, 2 1/2 to 3 hours, or more if necessry. Thinly slice across the grain and serve hot or cold.

Other messages in this thread: