Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Here's a great cake to use for the Black Forest Cake - It's foolproof and rises very high:
Joined: Dec 19, 2005
Posted to Thread #6068 at 11:15 pm on Mar 14, 2007
BLACK MAGIC CAKE
2 cups sugar (I use about 1 1/3 cups)
1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup Hershey's Cocoa (or cocoa of choice)
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt (I use 1/2 tsp)
1 cup buttermilk or sour milk* (I use nonfat plain yogurt)
1 cup strong black coffee OR 2 teaspoons powdered instant coffee plus 1 cup boiling water (I use brewed espresso)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans or one 13x9x2-inch baking pan. (My note: If using 9-inch rounds, grease the bottom and sides of pans, line with parchment paper, then grease the paper and dust with cocoa powder or flour - I use cocoa powder).
2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, buttermilk, coffee, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes (batter will be thin). Pour batter evenly into prepared pans.
3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes for round pans, 35 to 40 minutes for rectangular pan or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from (9") pans to wire racks. (9x13 can be cooled in pan on wire rack). Cool completely. Frost as desired. Yields 10 to 12 servings.
* To sour milk: Use 1 tablespoon white vinegar plus milk to equal 1 cup.
A balanced diet is equal parts of milk and dark chocolate.
Other messages in this thread:
- 6068. Help with Brother's Birthday Cake Request! Black Forrest Cake - JulieinVa - 7:23pm on 03/14/07 (7)
- My favorite REC: Black Forest Cake... - charlie - 10:27pm on 03/14/07
- Love this cake. Charlie made it for my Birthday! (nt) [NT] - karen - 11:08pm on 03/14/07
- Julie, have you tested your baking powder and baking soda to make sure they're still active? If - Meryl - 11:11pm on 03/14/07
- Here's a great cake to use for the Black Forest Cake - It's foolproof and rises very high: - Meryl - 11:15pm on 03/14/07
- Here's a fantastic Devil's Food Cake you can use: "Devil's Food Cake With Fluffy White Frosting".... [LINK] - Meryl - 11:22pm on 03/14/07
- Thanks everyone! You know, I looked at the expiration date on my baking powder and it was four years - JulieinVa - 12:56pm on 03/16/07
- You're welcome, Julie. Here are the tests for baking powder and soda you can use in the future: - Meryl - 7:11pm on 03/16/07