Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.

Close
cheezz

REC: Quinoa Pilaf

Veteran Member
13617 posts

Options

Posted to Thread #6080 at 5:55 pm on Mar 15, 2007

Quinoa Pilaf
from Cook's Illustrated

Quinoa in sort of nutty tasting and when you cook it, the germ separates from the kernel so it sort of looks
like little 'tails'. Kinda weird, I know, but the taste is amazing. It's also very forgiving and you can play with it to your own taste.

1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans
3 Tbl. butter
1 large Granny Smith apple, peel, core &
finely chop
1 tsp. sugar
1 med. onion, finely chopped
2 cps. quinoa, well rinsed & drained in a
FINE sieve
3-3/4 cps. low sodium chicken broth [I use water and Better Than Bouillon chicken base]
2 Tbl. coarsely chopped parsley
3/4 tsp. minced thyme [I prefer rosemary but you can use garam masala, tarragon or herb of your choice]
fresh ground black pepper
salt to taste [omit if using Better Than Bouillon]

1. Saute pecans in large 14" hot skillet until toasted, then set aside.

2. Melt 1 tbl. of the butter in the skillet over med-hi heat. When foaming subsides, add apple and sugar and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned. Set aside with the pecans.

3. Reduce heat to med. and add rest of butter to skillet. Add onion and 1/4 tsp. salt. Cook, stirring, until onion softens and just begins to brown. Add quinoa and stir often until it begins to turn golden (about 4 min.). Add broth and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until quinoa is tender but slightly crunchy - about 15 min.

4. Remove cover, increase heat to med., and cook, stirring frequently until remaining liquid has evaporated, about 2-3 min. Gently stir in apple, pecans and herbs. Adjust seasonings to taste.

Note: I find that it is almost impossible to toast the quinoa TOO much - the more you can brown it, the more flavor you will get. You can eat this at any temperature - I even eat it cold right out of the fridge

Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out, but I can usually shut her up with cookies!

Other messages in this thread: