Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.

Close
Barbara in VA

REC: Paneed Cowboy-Spiced Salmon with Tomato-Dijon Remoulade on Garlic Spinach

Veteran Member
2567 posts

Options

Posted to Thread #6618 at 10:59 pm on May 15, 2007

From Steve2 in LA, Epicurious post #45587. I was not able to access the post so here is the recipe as Steve postedit. I have made it a number of times, reducing down the quantity of the Grill Blend ingredients and finishing off the salmon in a 375° oven while I make the remoulade.

("Grill Blend Cowboy spice" mix, courtesy of Grady Spears at "Reata".)
3 T kosher salt
3 T Pasilla chile powder
2 T dried garlic
2 T sugar
2 T cumin
2 T black pepper
1 T dried thyme

(the fish)
1 lb salmon about 1" thick
1 T dijon mustard
1 T olive oil

(the remoulade)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 t dijon mustard
1 large fresh tomatoes, diced with juice
2-4 T white wine

(the spinach)
1 T olive oil
4 cloves garlic, finely minced
10 loose cups fresh spinach, washed & cleaned

salt and pepper to taste

Several hours before you want to eat, mix all the ingredients for the Grill Blend together and reserve in an airtight container.

Place the salmon fillet on a good sized piece of plastic wrap. Spread one side of the fish with half the dijon then dust with some (I don't know, 1/2-1t?) of the Grill Blend. Turn over and repeat on the other side. Wrap the seasoned fish in the plastic and return to the fridge for at least an hour or two, up to 3 hours. (Use the left over Grill Blend mix for grilled or broiled steaks, pork ribs, etc.)

When ready to cook, heat olive oil in a non stick saute pan and sear the salmon 3-4 minutes per side. Remove to a platter and tent with foil to keep warm. Return the hot saute pan to the heat, add the minced garlic and quickly toss. Once the garlic becomes fragrant, add the tomatoes, dijon and 2 T of the white wine. Cook on high heat until most of the liquid is gone. Turn heat off and let this rest in the pan until you're ready to serve. If you find you've "over reduced" the tomato mixture, just add a little more of the white wine and reheat.

Spinach is easy. Find a lidded pan, large enough to hold all the spinach. Heat the olive oil, add the minced garlic, (do not let it brown or, as you know, it'll go bitter) and cook until it's opaque, about 3-4 minutes on medium. Turn the heat to high, add all the spinach (just cram it into the pot) and press the lid down. Cook for 1-2 minutes, remove lid, add salt and pepper, toss the spinach until it's JUST wilted.

To assemble, put some spinach on the plate, top with some salmon and a healthy dollop of the remoulade. Kind of daub the plate with a little more remoulade, dust with a little more of the Grill Blend and you're good to go.

Serves 2-3 depending on the capacity of your eaters.

Other messages in this thread: