Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
REC: Whistle Stop Minestrone
Joined: Jul 17, 2006
Posted to Thread #6735 at 2:14 am on May 30, 2007
I forgot where this restaurant was located, but I've tweaked it enough to call it my own now :)
Whistle Stop Minestrone
Serves 8-10 generously
1⁄4 C chopped salt pork fried or 2 tbl. bacon fat [you can also use a little vegetable oil instead]
1 large clove garlic, minced
1 large onion, chopped
8 cups water
5 tsp. Better Than Bouillon chicken base -
or other chicken stock paste
2 tsp. Better Than Bouillon beef base -
or other beef stock paste
1 1-pound can stewed tomatoes, chopped
1 15-oz can pinto beans, undrained
1 tsp dried or 1⁄4 C fresh chopped parsley
1⁄4 tsp dried oregano
1⁄2 tsp dried basil
1 cup EACH: sliced zucchini, carrots, green beans, chopped celery
3/4 cup elbow or seashell macaroni
Grated parmesan cheese, optional
In a large soup pot cook chopped salt pork until fat is rendered, or heat bacon fat or oil until melted. Add garlic and onion and sauté until tender. Add water, bouillon, parsley, celery, basil, oregano, carrots, zucchini, green beans pinto beans and tomatoes with liquid.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 1 hour. Add macaroni and cook 30 minutes or until tender if serving at once. If making ahead, don’t cook macaroni until ready to serve. Can be frozen.
Serve with grated parmesan cheese sprinkled on top.
Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out, but I can usually shut her up with cookies!
Other messages in this thread:
- 6735. A minestrone/broth question - skyastara - 7:31am on 05/27/07 (12)
- Beef broth will be great, especially home-made. - Dawn_MO - 7:49am on 05/27/07
- Maybe those versions are for the "newer" trends towards - DawnNYS - 8:19pm on 05/27/07
- I use 3 parts chicken broth to 1 part beef broth. - cheezz - 4:05am on 05/28/07
- I'd love it! - skyastara - 5:09am on 05/28/07
- REC: Whistle Stop Minestrone - cheezz - 2:14am on 05/30/07
- I have placed my minestrone recipe on this site. It's a chicken broth base [NT] - diannecerkvenik64 - 6:08pm on 05/28/07
- Dianne... I can't find your recipe -- looked in T&T also... can you link to it? [NT] - cheezz - 2:15am on 05/30/07
- Here ya go, cheezz [NT] [LINK] - CynUpstateNY - 10:49am on 05/30/07
- THANK YOU CynUpstateNY, I thought I had the beginings of Alzheimer's. I thought I posted it!!!!! [NT] - diannecerkvenik64 - 7:53pm on 05/31/07
- Sorry I thought I posted it here is Minestrone Soup Recipe - diannecerkvenik64 - 7:45pm on 05/30/07
- Definitely similarities - I like the V8 juice idea, but don't like cabbage :) [NT] - cheezz - 1:48am on 05/31/07
- To behonest cheezz, I don't put in the cabbage all the time, most people don't like.. but I do [NT] - diannecerkvenik64 - 7:54pm on 05/31/07