Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
I am making this for dinner tomorrow night, I will let you know how it turned out..REC: Sit Sandwich
Joined: Dec 9, 2005
Posted to Thread #6793 at 10:52 pm on May 31, 2007
This is from Julie R- WA, and it looks great and sounds like fun for the kids. After three kids sit on it, it might be a bit smooshed, but they will have fun doing it. It received great reviews. If you click on the link, you can look at photos of it. I bought a round loaf of rye bread instead of French.
Mom's Sit Sandwich Recipe #27931
From my Family Recipe Box, Mom loves this sandwich! "This sandwich is a 'smashing success'... in more ways than one. It's a great traveler." You must admit, it is pretty amusing. :) From the Family Recipe Box, dated 3/1/85.
2 hours 2 hours prep
1 large round loaf French bread
1 jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained,liquid reserved
1/2 cup mayonnaise
3 large tomatoes, sliced
3 ounces thinly sliced salami
1/2 lb thinly sliced turkey breast
1/4 lb cheese slices, any kind
1 (2 1/2 ounce) can sliced ripe black olives, drained
1 purple onion, thinly sliced
Cut loaf of bread in half horizontally and hollow out the soft bread from both halves, leaving a shell about 3/4-inch thick.
Reserve soft bread for another use.
In small bowl, combine artichoke liquid with mayonnaise and spread onto bread shells.
In bottom half, layer ingredients at least three times until mounded high, beginning and ending with tomatoes.
Place top half of bread over mound of ingredients.
Wrap entire loaf with plastic wrap.
This must be assembled at least 2 hours before serving, but can be assembled up to 8 hours before serving.
Before serving, place sandwich (wrapped in plastic) on a hard surface and SIT ON IT!
This smashes the ingredients together and makes it easy to serve.
Do not omit this step, strange as it seems, as this step is what makes the sandwich delicious.
Slice the loaf into wedges to serve.
Link: Sit Sandwich
Sometimes you just need to look reality in the eye, and deny it. �Garrison Keillor
Other messages in this thread:
- 6793. I am making this for dinner tomorrow night, I will let you know how it turned out..REC: Sit Sandwich [LINK] - Dawn_MO - 10:52pm on 05/31/07 (10)
- How fun! The reviews on this are hilarious!!!! [NT] - orchid - 11:01pm on 05/31/07
- LOL! I'm taking this with to make in Hawaii for the grandkids. - AngAk - 12:08am on 06/01/07
- When are you going?Alaska Air announced direct flights Anchorage to Hawaii,deals when they start up! [NT] - Nan - 2:07pm on 06/01/07
- i was jumping up and down!! finally air miles for a direct flight---just 5 hrs away. woohoo. but - AngAk - 5:29pm on 06/01/07
- I've done a sit sandwich with Muffuletta- it works great too [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 1:19am on 06/01/07
- The sandwich was a success and the kids had so much fun sitting on it. - Dawn_MO - 7:31pm on 06/02/07
- Dawn, I'm so in awe that you can get kids to eat the stuff in that sandwich...it took me - MarilynFL - 1:17am on 06/03/07
- I am constantly amazed by what they like to eat... - Dawn_MO - 2:21pm on 06/03/07