Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
REC: Chocolate-Grand Marnier Truffles. Coulda sworn I've posted these before....
Joined: Dec 14, 2005
Posted to Thread #6819 at 5:14 pm on Jun 4, 2007
I cooked for a baby shower yesterday but I couldn't talk them out of a bakery sheet cake (day-glo pink with rubber duckies, and they could have had Julia's Queen of Sheba). So I made these to go alongside. I'll be posting the menu in Menus.
<i>Truffles aux Chocolat</i>
7 oz. semisweet or bittersweet chocolate
2 oz. unsweetened chocolate
1/4 cup strong coffee
5 oz. (1-1/4 sticks) unsalted butter, cut in pieces
1/4 cup Grand Marnier or other orange liqueur
Break up both chocolates and put them in a covered saucepan with the coffee. Set the pan in a skillet of almost-simmering water (don't let it boil) and leave a few minutes until the chocolate melts. Stir until smooth, then whisk in the butter a piece at a time, just until melted in. Remove from heat and whisk in the liqueur.
Chill until firm but not hard. Roll into rough balls, then roll the balls in cocoa powder. Place in frill cups, or in a single layer in a covered container, and refrigerate.
Makes 18 large truffles or 36 small ones.
Note: I like to make these small, and I find it easiest to portion the mixture while still a bit soft, with a melon baller and a demitasse spoon, onto a silpat, then refrigerate until firm enough for rolling.
Other messages in this thread:
- 6819. REC: Chocolate-Grand Marnier Truffles. Coulda sworn I've posted these before.... - Joe - 5:14pm on 06/04/07 (28)
- oh yeah, made these, love them. Anyone who hasn't tried them please do- they are perfectly wonderful [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 5:19pm on 06/04/07
- Oh yum. I do not have a sweet tooth, but I love chocolate and orange... - Dawn_MO - 7:53pm on 06/04/07
- How did I forget these when you asked about chocolate orange things a while back? - Joe - 8:00pm on 06/04/07
- Here is one posted by Olga. REC: Chocolate Covered Cherries - Dawn_MO - 7:28am on 06/05/07
- I've made a lot of choc covered cherries in the past and could never understand... - cheezz - 11:20pm on 06/05/07
- Would I have to add anything? I'm not fond of shortening or parafin. Could I just add unsweetened - Joe - 12:55am on 06/06/07
- parafin and shortening - Richard in Cincy - 1:13pm on 06/06/07
- Joe, as Richard says, you can temper the chocolate to get the consistency needed... - cheezz - 8:13pm on 06/06/07
- Now I understand. Thanks, you guys. I thought the parafin was just to make it firmer - Joe - 8:48pm on 06/06/07
- Tempering chocolate - rhoward2va - 5:19pm on 06/07/07
- Thanks, this sounds do-able. I've never understood the tempering process before. [NT] - Joe - 7:14pm on 06/07/07
- Better than my $300 tempering machine! [NT] - rhoward2va - 10:48am on 06/08/07
- What kind of Easter eggs are you coating? - Dawn_MO - 9:40am on 06/08/07
- Coconut - rhoward2va - 10:47am on 06/08/07
- Yes, please share this family recipe. [NT] - AngAk - 1:35pm on 06/08/07
- Here you go - rhoward2va - 7:16pm on 06/08/07
- This recipe scares me... - Dawn_MO - 9:55pm on 06/08/07
- I keep them in the freezer so I won't eat too many at once [NT] - rhoward2va - 7:21am on 06/09/07
- Doesn't work. It's amazing how many things I'm able to eat frozen :) [NT] - cheezz - 7:41pm on 06/09/07
- That's exactly what I was thinking, or I would have to figure out how to use my microwave! - Dawn_MO - 11:52pm on 06/09/07
- Me three! I was thinking "and what's wrong with frozen?" [NT] - Curious1 - 11:51am on 06/10/07
- Oh, what a sad lot we are, huh?! At least we're all in the same boat :) [NT] - cheezz - 8:29pm on 06/10/07
- HELP! - swimmingfish5 - 7:54pm on 06/14/07
- here is a link to rhowards hints on tempering chocolate, easier method. [NT] [LINK] - AngAk - 12:07pm on 06/21/07
- ISO: Bittersweet Chocolate Covered Strawberriy Cordials - Richard in Cincy - 1:17pm on 06/06/07
- They sound marvelous, but I can't quite picture.... - cheezz - 8:05pm on 06/06/07
- more info. - Richard in Cincy - 10:17pm on 06/06/07
- Maybe with the higher moister content, the fondant liquified faster? [NT] - cheezz - 12:32am on 06/09/07