Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
REC: Sugar Cookies (buttery, flaky, delicious!)
Joined: Dec 8, 2005
Posted to Thread #742 at 3:12 am on Feb 9, 2006
These are my favorite from the point of view of taste and texture. They are not hard to work with if you use the waxed paper trick and keep the dough well chilled.
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla
3 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
Beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla, mix until just combined. Add flour and baking powder in intervals. Dough will seem as if doesn't have enough moisture but continue to mix with mixer until combined (it will come together when chilled). Divide the dough into four equal parts, shape into four disks, wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate about an hour or until firm. Preheat oven to 375 F. Lightly grease baking sheets or line with parchment paper or a non-stick baking mat. Roll out dough between 2 sheets of waxed paper, about 1/4 inch thick for crispier cookies and 1/3 inch thick for softer cookies. Cut out shapes with cookie cutters and place on prepared baking sheets. Bake for 7-8 minutes or until edges just start to turn a golden color. For softer cookies, do not allow the cookies to take on color. Remove from oven, let cool for one minute and then transfer to wire rack. Allow cookie sheet to cool thoroughly before placing uncooked dough on it. Decorate cookies with Royal Icing or Buttercream Frosting and sprinkles.
Can be stored in freezer undecorated for 2 months. Dough also freezes well.
Note: Yield varies greatly depending on how thin you roll out the dough and how large your cookie cutters are, but an overall guideline is 24 cookies.
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. -JRRT
Other messages in this thread:
- 742. ISO fav sugar cookie dough recipe, making heart cookies for Valentines Saturday >>> - Heather_in_SF - 1:25am on 02/09/06 (7)
- Hi Heather, this is my very favorite one - fabulous taste and very easy to work with. [NT] [LINK] - LisainLA - 1:39am on 02/09/06
- REC: Sugar Cookies (buttery, flaky, delicious!) - Mimi - 3:12am on 02/09/06
- REC: No-chill Cutout Sugar Cookies - Mimi - 3:14am on 02/09/06
- Thank you all! I'm looking forward to baking, and the wax paper trick is brilliant Mimi! NT [NT] - Heather_in_SF - 6:44pm on 02/09/06
- There is a way to make it work better... - Mimi - 6:55pm on 02/09/06
- Aha! now I see why I was always having problems, prewax paper. Mimi, another question for you.... - Heather_in_SF - 10:35pm on 02/09/06
- Two things you can do... - Mimi - 1:51am on 02/10/06