Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.

Close
Music City Missy

REC Laquered bacon

Veteran Member
mlinkinhoker@hotmail.com
2092 posts

Options

Posted to Thread #6871 at 7:38 pm on Jun 9, 2007

I had been playing around with this and then saw a recipe from Chef Walter Scheib that was the White House chef that Hillary Clinton brought in to "Americanize" the White House. I tried his then combined what I had been playing with and think I created a winner.

You can vary this based on how much you want to make or just store the extra sugar mixture.

1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup turbinado sugar
Bacon that is not too thinly sliced (I used Kirkland Signature - only problem I had was one package was thinly sliced and the other just perfect - it all worked - just took more careful watching)
Freshly ground course black pepper (optional)

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

Line a jelly roll pan with a couple of layers of aluminum foil. Place a wire rack in the pan. Lay strips of bacon across the rack.

Combine the two sugars well. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of the sugar mixture on each slice and spread evenly but being sure to not get too much on the ends.

Bake until the bacon is nicely browned and crispy. Remove to a plate to cool slightly. Serve while still warm or cool and warm slightly before serving.

I served mine room temp and it was just fine. It was right beside the tenderloin and rolls so several things happened with it - some people made bacon rolls and some bacon tenderloin rolls and most just ate it by itself. I did three pounds of bacon and cut each piece in half. to make it go further.

Even the pieces that were slightly 'over done' were devoured - some people actually like the sort of slighly burned sugar taste - I had them in the kitchen picking at the bacon and brie kisses that the sugars had slighly burned.

I also liked a version I did with fresh cracked pepper - sort of like the black pepper almonds - I love the sweet and hot.

Other messages in this thread: