Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
To go with your Jerk Chicken................ Rice and Peas
Joined: Dec 14, 2005
Posted to Thread #7067 at 7:55 pm on Jun 26, 2007
RICE AND PEAS
1 19 oz can of pigeon peas or red kidney beans (well drained and rinsed)
2 cups boiling salted water
1/3 of a block creamed coconut
1 cup rice
1 small onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 rasher of bacon or 1 tbsp. butter
1/4 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 tsp. salt
Pinch freshly ground pepper
* In a pot cook rasher of bacon or melt the butter.
* Saute the onion and garlic.
* Add uncooked rice, thyme, salt and pepper; cook for 1 minute.
* Add drained beans.
* Add 2 cups boiling salted water.
* Add block of creamed coconut.
* Simmer covered for 30 minutes or until rice is tender (about 30 minutes).
* Remove from heat take cover off the pot. Let the rice dry out a little.
I prefer to cook the rice and peas ahead of time, allow it to dry out a bit and then reheat in the microwave just before serving.
Other messages in this thread:
- Meryl, did you make this dish and if so, did you love it? [NT] - KarenNoCA - 7:07pm on 06/26/07
- No, I haven't made it yet. [NT] - Meryl - 7:29pm on 06/26/07
- TWO scotch bonnets chopped with seeds---yowzer!! [NT] - AngAk - 3:08pm on 06/27/07
- I'm a wimp - I'd have to take out the seeds! [NT] - Meryl - 4:19pm on 06/27/07
- And membranes!!! [NT] - Meryl - 4:30pm on 06/27/07
- I'm afraid I am even wimpier and would use just 1/2, or 1 whole, not chopped [NT] - AngAk - 5:03pm on 06/27/07
- Ang, I'm with you. When the jerk is too hot you can't even taste anything. A little heat is perfect. [NT] - Sylvia - 5:02am on 06/28/07
- What a great idea Ang... - Dawn_MO - 7:34am on 07/01/07
- To go with your Jerk Chicken................ Rice and Peas - Sylvia - 7:55pm on 06/26/07
- Okay, and what's for dessert? :) [NT] - Meryl - 8:39pm on 06/26/07
- Pineapple Upsidedown Cake - Sylvia - 4:14am on 06/27/07
- Or, Caribbean Rum Cake with Mango & Cream [NT] [LINK] - Sylvia - 4:17am on 06/27/07
- Here's another side dish...... Mashed Plantains T & T - Sylvia - 4:21am on 06/27/07
- And of course you need some Red Stripe Beer to drink throughout the meal. :-D [NT] - Sylvia - 4:39am on 06/27/07
- For those that have access to PC (President's Choice) products - they made a fabulous Jerk marinade - deb-in-MI - 6:05am on 06/27/07
- Thanks. Deb- going to the market today and will pick some up! [NT] - CynUpstateNY - 6:25am on 06/27/07
- PC Jerk Marinade is excellent. [NT] - Sylvia - 7:40am on 06/27/07
- So who's cooking dinner? :) [NT] - Meryl - 12:31pm on 06/27/07
- Meryl, just let me know when you'll be in Ottawa and I'll prepare this meal for you. [NT] - Sylvia - 2:11pm on 06/27/07
- Thanks - you're a sweetheart. :) [NT] - Meryl - 4:23pm on 06/27/07
- Another Jerk Chicken/Pork Recipe - Sylvia - 5:06am on 06/28/07
- With all this talk about Jerk it's on tonight's menu. Pork tenderloins are marinating. - Sylvia - 8:49am on 06/28/07
- Sounds great!Here's another to check out: Grilled Jerk Pork Tenderloin & Pineapple Mango Kiwi Salsa [NT] [LINK] - Meryl - 2:41pm on 06/28/07