Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Rec: Roasted Tomato and Red Pepper Gazpacho. It's HOT here so we're definitely
Joined: Dec 15, 2005
Posted to Thread #7750 at 7:49 pm on Sep 1, 2007
having this cold, delicious soup. I add more sherry vinegar and Tabasco. Yum!
ROASTED TOMATO AND RED PEPPER GAZPACHO
Bon Appétit, July 2004
The gazpacho needs to be started a day ahead, so be sure to plan accordingly.
Makes 10 servings.
4 pounds plum tomatoes, halved
5 large red bell peppers, divided
4 medium-size red onions, divided
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
3 cups water, divided
3 tablespoons Sherry wine vinegar
1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
1 English hothouse cucumber, peeled, halved lengthwise, finely chopped (about 2 cups)
Extra-virgin olive oil preparation
Preheat oven to 450°F. Place tomatoes on large rimmed baking sheet. Cut 4 peppers into 1-inch pieces; place on another rimmed baking sheet. Cut 3 onions into 1-inch pieces; add to peppers. Drizzle 1/2 cup oil over vegetables, tossing to coat. Sprinkle with salt. Roast vegetables until soft and slightly charred, about 50 minutes, switching positions of pans after 25 minutes. Puree half of vegetables with pan juices in processor until smooth. Add 1 cup water; process until very smooth. Transfer mixture to large bowl. Repeat with remaining vegetables and 1 cup water. Cover gazpacho; chill overnight.
Mix remaining 1 cup water, vinegar, and hot pepper sauce into gazpacho. Season to taste with salt.
Finely dice remaining bell pepper and onion; mix with cucumber. Pour gazpacho into bowls; top with diced vegetables and a drizzle of oil.
Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we may diet.
Other messages in this thread:
- 7750. Any good picnic ideas to try for this coming weekend?! [NT] - DawnNYS - 6:46pm on 08/31/07 (28)
- We're having a "Cold Southern-Style Summer Supper" here on Sunday. Menu aqui >>> - Steve2 in LA - 7:42pm on 08/31/07
- Wow! What time are you serving? I'm sure I can get a flight out! [NT] - CynUpstateNY - 7:44pm on 08/31/07
- Good Luck! [NT] - AngAk - 8:29pm on 08/31/07
- Always enough for an extree 20 or 30 so . . . C'MON OVER! [NT] - Steve2 in LA - 3:44am on 09/01/07
- Just a perfect menu, in my opinion. That one belongs in the menu section. [NT] - Curious1 - 2:27pm on 09/01/07
- I agree! [NT] - Joe - 5:31pm on 09/01/07
- Steve - looks pretty "labor-intensive" to me ;o) Hope it turned out well, except for the biscuits. [NT] - DawnNYS - 7:02pm on 09/04/07
- Am I the only one who doesn't know what "Cat's Head" Biscuits are? I - orchid - 7:52pm on 09/01/07
- no secret, just an old-fashioned term because they are "as big as a cat's head" >> [NT] [LINK] - cheezz - 8:08pm on 09/01/07
- I never heard of it either... [NT] - Traca - 8:29pm on 09/01/07
- REC: Cat's Head Biscuits. . . take 2 cat's heads, roll out thin . . . okay, not really. . . - Steve2 in LA - 11:19pm on 09/01/07
- mmmm.... with milk gravy or lots of honey butter and jam! [NT] - cheezz - 1:10am on 09/02/07
- Plugra butter, homemade Blue & Ollalaberry preserves. Mmmm-boy-howdy. [NT] - Steve2 in LA - 5:05am on 09/02/07
- I second the ollalaberry preserves -- one of my faves! But what is 'plugra butter'? [NT] - cheezz - 5:29am on 09/03/07
- Cheeez, it's a European style butter that tastes real . . . buttery. Check out the link: [NT] [LINK] - Steve2 in LA - 8:47pm on 09/03/07
- and Trader Joes carries it!! Thanks - I'll give it a try. [NT] - cheezz - 11:50pm on 09/03/07
- Very funny Steve! ;o) Thanks for the recipe. [NT] - orchid - 6:07pm on 09/03/07
- I was unhappy with this recipe. Biscuits tasted. . . flat. I'm moving on to something different . - Steve2 in LA - 8:49pm on 09/03/07
- Hey Steve. Give these biscuits a whirl. Once I made them, I quit looking - Traca - 10:52pm on 09/03/07
- oh YES!! These biscuits are the only ones I make - so heavenly! [NT] - cheezz - 11:52pm on 09/03/07
- I'm hungry for chicken wings. I think I'll try these from Splendid Table [NT] [LINK] - AngAk - 9:10pm on 08/31/07
- Oooh Ang, these sound interesting. If you make them could you report back please? [NT] - orchid - 10:06pm on 08/31/07
- I have all the ingredients on hand. Just need the wings. May only marinate overnight though. [NT] - AngAk - 10:52pm on 08/31/07
- orchid, this basting sauce was wonderful, but it burned too easily on the grill. my notes: - AngAk - 7:15pm on 09/04/07
- Thanks for the feedback Ang. Was it a bit on the sweet side? If I decide - orchid - 7:30pm on 09/04/07
- you could easily cut back on the jam. I also used only 4 large cloves of garlic. plenty. [NT] - AngAk - 10:31pm on 09/04/07
- Thanks Ang. [NT] - orchid - 5:28pm on 09/05/07
- Rec: Roasted Tomato and Red Pepper Gazpacho. It's HOT here so we're definitely - orchid - 7:49pm on 09/01/07