Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
|Sandi in Hawaii||
If you like to make curd, you gotta try this method that Gay found in REC: Tangy Orange Curd
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #7916 at 6:04 am on Sep 15, 2007
This curd is fabulous!!! I love the method of mixing it in a blender. The mixture comes out soooo smooth, and even though you use whole eggs, there were absolutely no cooked egg white particles in the finished curd. (I strained it, as I do with all curds, but there was nothing left in the strainer. Amazing!
My standard recipe for tangerine curd from Sue-SanDiego uses only egg yolks, but I'm gonna try it this way, with the whole eggs....
For this recipe, I used a Mango margarita mix from Williams-Sonoma instead of the orange juice concentrate, but the mango flavor was faint.
I made a second batch with 1/2 cup of the mango mix, and no lemon juice, but that was not as good. Not tangy enough, and just tasted too buttery. I'll stick with the original version.
Thanks for posting this, Gay! You're a search goddess!!
Tangy Orange Curd
makes about 1 1/4 cups
1/4 cup frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
Juice and grated rind of 1 large lemon
1/3 cup sugar
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
Place orange juice concentrate, lemon juice and rind, eggs and sugar in blender jar. Blend for 5-10 seconds.
With motor running, gradually pour in the melted butter. Blend 5-10 seconds longer or until completely combined.
Transfer to a small heavy saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened. Do not boil. (I cooked mine to 160º.)
Pour into a heat proof jar or pitcher. Serve warm to spoon over fritters or chilled to spread on breakfast toast.
Other messages in this thread:
- 7916. If you like to make curd, you gotta try this method that Gay found in REC: Tangy Orange Curd - Sandi in Hawaii - 6:04am on 09/15/07 (5)
- Sandi in Hawaii, So glad that you are enjoying the recipe. It sure is simple and good. [NT] - GayR - 1:14pm on 09/15/07
- I suppose you can do the same thing with lemon juice concentrate - eureka! [NT] - cheezz - 4:25pm on 09/15/07
- Wow, I'll bet that is *very* good! [NT] - LisainLA - 4:50pm on 09/15/07
- I love Orange Curd - BobbiJoAZ - 6:20pm on 09/15/07
- This sounds terrific - thanks! [NT] - deb-in-MI - 7:25pm on 09/15/07