Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Ang, if you want to try another chocolate loaf recipe, I have a great one from Godiva/Chocolatier-
Joined: Dec 19, 2005
Posted to Thread #8350 at 12:56 am on Oct 20, 2007
It's very moist and deep chocolatey, even after I reduced the butter, used nonfat yogurt instead of sour cream, etc. The original adds in cranberries, but after first trying it (I subbed dried cherries), I subsequently left them out (you know why), and kept it as an all chocolate bread.
Here's the recipe with my reduced fat version in parentheses:
CHOCOLATE CRANBERRY BREAD
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt (I used 1/4 tsp)
3/4 cup sour cream (I used 3/4 cup plus 1 Tbsp nonfat plain yogurt)
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
6 tablespoons butter, softened (I used 5 Tbsp)
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs, at room temperature
3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (I used 1 tsp)
1 cup fresh OR frozen cranberries, coarsely chopped (First time I made this, I used 2/3 cup dried cherries soaked in hot water for 15 minutes, then drained)
2 bars (1.5 ounces each) Godiva Dark Chocolate, coarsely chopped (or 3 oz. good quality semi-sweet chocolate, coarsely chopped) (I used 1-2 Tbsp mini chocolate chips)
Mascarpone cheese or cream cheese for serving (optional) (I omitted this)
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. (325 F for dark pans). Butter bottom and sides of 9x5x3-inch loaf pan.
2. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in medium bowl. Stir together sour cream and cocoa in a small bowl until blended.
3. Beat butter in mixing bowl until creamy, using electric mixer at medium speed. Add sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Alternately add flour mixture and sour cream mixture, mixing just until combined. Stir in cranberries and chopped chocolate. Turn batter into prepared loaf pan..
4. Bake for 55 to 65 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of bread comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack for 15 minutes. Remove pan and cool completely on wire rack
To serve: Slice bread and serve with mascarpone or cream cheese.
A balanced diet is equal parts of milk and dark chocolate.
Other messages in this thread:
- 8350. Starbucks Chocolate Cinnamon Bread. looks good. [LINK] - AngAk - 11:00pm on 10/18/07 (19)
- What are we, cosmic twins? I posted this awhile back! [NT] [LINK] - Meryl - 11:02pm on 10/18/07
- I looked this up, but it seemed to me like a different recipe. maybe she just cut it in half? - AngAk - 11:04pm on 10/18/07
- Hmmm, you're right - the proportions are definitely different, and not just cut in half. [NT] - Meryl - 11:08pm on 10/18/07
- I was going to say this looked familiar until I saw the three sticks of butter! [NT] - Amanda_Illinois - 11:13pm on 10/18/07
- Yeah, the other one cut down the butter by 2/3! [NT] - Meryl - 11:16pm on 10/18/07
- But other things are cut in half, etc., etc., Obviously her own adaptation. [NT] - Meryl - 11:18pm on 10/18/07
- this one makes 2 loaves---it's a recipe that would freeze well, so I thought I would post the larger - AngAk - 11:25pm on 10/18/07
- Hey, send one to me! [NT] - Meryl - 11:57pm on 10/18/07
- (Just kidding - I think) :) [NT] - Meryl - 11:58pm on 10/18/07
- Anyway, you must let me know how it turns out! [NT] - Meryl - 11:59pm on 10/18/07
- I'm thinking enough batter for a good number of the mini loaf pans---larder barter? [NT] - AngAk - 12:33am on 10/19/07
- Well, I really should be losing weight, but..... whaddaya have in mind? :) [NT] - Meryl - 1:45am on 10/19/07
- Praise the Lord...finally a recipe I can resist! Just tried this last week and - MarilynFL - 1:58pm on 10/19/07
- I baked this last night, and it is a seriously beautiful silky batter. Made 2 big loaves. - AngAk - 5:04pm on 10/19/07
- I also baked the Marian Burros Plum torte(caught Cyn's baking bug)REC: - AngAk - 5:13pm on 10/19/07
- Too bad about the dryness. rhoward2va found it nice and moist, and [LINK] - Meryl - 7:11pm on 10/19/07
- Ang, decorator's sugar is not powdered - it's a coarse sugar. Here's some info and a photo of the [LINK] [IMAGE] - Meryl - 7:15pm on 10/19/07
- I sprinkled powdered sugar on, then the cinnamon sugar, then some raw sugar. - AngAk - 10:47pm on 10/19/07
- Ang, if you want to try another chocolate loaf recipe, I have a great one from Godiva/Chocolatier- - Meryl - 12:56am on 10/20/07