Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Joined: Dec 14, 2005
Posted to Thread #8492 at 6:20 am on Nov 1, 2007
Mimi Barbour: mom of one, Qualicum Beach, B.C., Finalist, Holiday Cookie Contest. Forty years ago, as a young newlywed living near the Alaskan border, Mimi Barbour found herself without a holiday cookie recipe. An elderly Scottish neighbour took pity and pulled out a napkin, jotting down the ingredients to her celebrated shortbread - a recipe, she assured Mimi, very rarely given out. More than 30 years later, Mimi ran into the woman's granddaughter, who lamented that the much-loved shortbread recipe was lost. Mimi gladly handed it over and now both families are able to enjoy these delectable treats.
1 cup (250 mL) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup (125 mL) icing sugar
11/2 cups (375 mL) all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped dried cranberries
1/2 cup (125 mL) pecan pieces
1. Preheat oven to 325F (160C). Lightly spray baking sheet with parchment paper. Beat butter and sugar in a large bowl. In a small bowl, stir flour with salt. Gradually stir into butter mixture. Stir in cranberries and pecans. Pinch off about 1 tbsp (15 mL) dough and roll into a ball. Place on sheet. Continue with remaining dough, spacing balls 1 in. (2.5 cm) apart. Press down to flatten slightly.
2. Bake in centre of oven until tops are light golden, 12 to 15 min. Remove baking sheet to a wire rack. Let cookies cool for 5 min before removing from pan to wire rack. Cool completely. Repeat with remaining dough. Then refrigerate in an airtight container up to 1 week or freeze up to 2 months.
\Nutrients per cookie
6 g fat
7 g carbohydrates
Preparation time 25 min
Baking Time 12 min per batch
Makes 40 cookies
First published in Chatelaine's 11/2007 issue. © Rogers Media Publishing Inc.
Other messages in this thread:
- 8492. Cookie Contest Finalists from Chatelaine Magazine [NT] - Sylvia - 6:09am on 11/01/07 (15)
- Chocolate Hazelnut Cheesecake Bars - Sylvia - 6:11am on 11/01/07
- Date, Nut and Cherry Squares - Sylvia - 6:13am on 11/01/07
- Fruitful Party Squares - Sylvia - 6:15am on 11/01/07
- Coconut Lemon Squares - Sylvia - 6:17am on 11/01/07
- Chocolate Fruit Balls - Sylvia - 6:19am on 11/01/07
- Cranberry Shortbread - Sylvia - 6:20am on 11/01/07
- Ev's Hazelnut Chocolate Sandwiches - Sylvia - 6:22am on 11/01/07
- Sugar cookie cutouts - Sylvia - 6:24am on 11/01/07
- Chewy Molasses Spice Cookies - Sylvia - 6:27am on 11/01/07
- Spices AND chocolate! What more could one want? [NT] - Amanda_Illinois - 10:31am on 11/01/07
- Chocolate, Cherry and Almond Cookies - Sylvia - 6:39am on 11/01/07
- Sylvia, Thank you so much for posting all of these. Never enough cookie recipes. [NT] - GayR - 7:36am on 11/01/07
- and for converting from metric for those of us metric challenged. thanks! [NT] - AngAk - 5:54pm on 11/01/07
- And here's a link to them... plus many more... [NT] [LINK] - cheezz - 5:11pm on 11/01/07
- Try this link for more cookie recipes. [NT] [LINK] - Sylvia - 2:19pm on 11/02/07