Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.

Close
desertjean

"Pumpkin" Rolls (It's really yams or sweet potatoes)

Veteran Member
838 posts

Options

Posted to Thread #8756 at 12:12 am on Nov 21, 2007

This is based on Nancy Silverton's recipe. I've made it every year since Judy/Mass pointed me towards her book. Just made a batch last weekend and they disappeared faster than I could grab one.

Not Really Pumpkin Rolls

Sponge
2 cups water -- room temp
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons yeast
Dough
2 medium yams or sweet potatoes -- roasted, peeled and mashed
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 tablespoons wheat bran
5 cups all-purpose flour -- approximately
2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 teaspoons cumin
1/3 cup pumpkin seeds, roasted

Sponge: In a bowl, sprinkle yeast and 1 tablespoon flour over water. Let sit until dissolved, stir in remaining flour. Cover and let sit 8 to 12 hours. It will develop a bubbly, sponge like appearance and may separate. This is all good, it means the yeast are happy and active :)

In the bowl of my 5 quart kitchenaid: Pour in sponge, making sure to scrape all the bits into it. Sift the whole wheat flour, wheat bran, kosher salt and cumin. Stir yams, veggie oil and whole wheat mixture into the sponge on low.

Gradually add the all-purpose flour until dough forms and pulls away from the sides of the bowl and begins to make a slapping noise. Mix on medium for 5 minutes.

Form dough into a ball and place in a lightly greased bowl that is large enough to accommodate the dough doubling in size. Cover with a lightly greased plastic wrap and let sit until doubled in size. Gently deflate dough, form back into a ball. Cover and let rise until doubled again.

Shape into 48 rolls by pinching the dough off and rolling with the palm of your hand on a lightly greased surface. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise until poofy and doubled in size.

Bake at 400 about 20 minutes.

Other messages in this thread: