Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
"Pumpkin" Rolls (It's really yams or sweet potatoes)
Joined: Feb 14, 2006
Posted to Thread #8756 at 12:12 am on Nov 21, 2007
This is based on Nancy Silverton's recipe. I've made it every year since Judy/Mass pointed me towards her book. Just made a batch last weekend and they disappeared faster than I could grab one.
Not Really Pumpkin Rolls
2 cups water -- room temp
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons yeast
2 medium yams or sweet potatoes -- roasted, peeled and mashed
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 tablespoons wheat bran
5 cups all-purpose flour -- approximately
2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 teaspoons cumin
1/3 cup pumpkin seeds, roasted
Sponge: In a bowl, sprinkle yeast and 1 tablespoon flour over water. Let sit until dissolved, stir in remaining flour. Cover and let sit 8 to 12 hours. It will develop a bubbly, sponge like appearance and may separate. This is all good, it means the yeast are happy and active :)
In the bowl of my 5 quart kitchenaid: Pour in sponge, making sure to scrape all the bits into it. Sift the whole wheat flour, wheat bran, kosher salt and cumin. Stir yams, veggie oil and whole wheat mixture into the sponge on low.
Gradually add the all-purpose flour until dough forms and pulls away from the sides of the bowl and begins to make a slapping noise. Mix on medium for 5 minutes.
Form dough into a ball and place in a lightly greased bowl that is large enough to accommodate the dough doubling in size. Cover with a lightly greased plastic wrap and let sit until doubled in size. Gently deflate dough, form back into a ball. Cover and let rise until doubled again.
Shape into 48 rolls by pinching the dough off and rolling with the palm of your hand on a lightly greased surface. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise until poofy and doubled in size.
Bake at 400 about 20 minutes.
Other messages in this thread:
- 8756. ISO: T&T sweet potato yeast roll recipe - cheezz - 11:32pm on 11/20/07 (10)
- REC: Buttered Sweet Potato Knot Rolls...from Cooking Light... - charlie - 11:35pm on 11/20/07
- Made these tonight, just to try them out for future feasts. They are very good! - Michael in Phoenix - 5:23am on 11/22/07
- I liked them. But found the sweet p flavour really lacking. And I packed it in - Marg CDN - 10:11pm on 11/22/07
- I was thinking the sweet potato addition was more for moistness and a slight.. - Michael in Phoenix - 7:20pm on 11/23/07
- Yep, I did appreciate the lack of sugar. But I'm going to work on these guys. I want that SP flavor - Marg CDN - 8:14pm on 11/23/07
- "Pumpkin" Rolls (It's really yams or sweet potatoes) - desertjean - 12:12am on 11/21/07
- Check this one from FK's own T&T [LINK] - Steve2 in LA - 1:35am on 11/21/07
- love these. [NT] - Marg CDN - 2:17am on 11/21/07
- I've made these and they are REALLY marvelous biscuits... - cheezz - 5:21am on 11/25/07