Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
REC: Julia's Fluffy Pumpkin Pie. Separating the eggs and beating the whites.....
Joined: Dec 14, 2005
Posted to Thread #8790 at 4:39 pm on Nov 23, 2007
makes an extraordinarily light pumpkin pie. It was a big hit last night. Even my youngest niece and nephew passed up the Marie Calendar's pumpkin pie that their mom brought just for them in favor of "fancy pumpkin."
A FLUFFY PUMPKIN PIE
from <i>The Way to Cook</i> by Julia Child.
For one 11-inch pie or two 9-inch pies, serving 16-20
About 1 lb. of butter pastry dough, (or any pie dough--enough for a double crust pie)
3-1/2 cups (1 large can) cooked pumpkin
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp. salt
3 Tbs. light molasses
3 Tbs. bourbon whiskey or dark rum
3 tsp. each cinnamon and ground ginger
1/4 tsp. each nutmeg and ground cloves
4 egg yolks
1 cup heavy cream
5 egg whites
A pinch of cream of tartar
Whipped cream or vanilla ice cream for serving.
Preheat the oven to 450*F. Roll out the chilled dough and fit it into the pie pan(s) making a strong fluted rim that extends 1/2-inch above the top of the pan.
Blend together the remaining ingredients except the egg whites. Beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar into stiff peaks. Stir 1/4 of the egg whites into the pumpkin mixture to lighten in. Delicately fold in the rest.
At once, ladle the mixture into the pie shell, filling only to the rim of the pan. Proceed at once to baking
Set into the 450*F oven and bake for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 375*F and bake 15 minutes more. Reduce heat again to 350*F and bake 15 minutes more, or until puffed in the center. Turn oven off and leave the door ajar for 20 minutes before removing the pie(s).
Serve warm or cold.
<i>Notes: Julia specifies "solid pack" pumpkin but I haven't seen that term on cans in years. Her recipe calls for 3/4 cup milk in addition to the cream but I find that makes the filling too soupy, so I leave it out. Maybe the difference is in the pumpkin.</i>
Other messages in this thread:
- 8790. REC: Julia's Fluffy Pumpkin Pie. Separating the eggs and beating the whites..... - Joe - 4:39pm on 11/23/07 (4)
- I've made this one, Joe- it is delicious. Julia scores again and again and again..... [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 5:21pm on 11/23/07
- Thanks for reviews guys, been thinking about making a chiffon pie, been a long time. Saved. [NT] - Nan - 5:24pm on 11/23/07
- Interesting comment about the can. Would I understand that the diff is chunks in liquid as opposed - Marg CDN - 5:36pm on 11/23/07
- No, it was a purree. I think "solid pack" is denser, Julia says that the mixture "should hold it's - Joe - 5:50pm on 11/23/07