Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.

Close
Joe

Cream of Sorrel (or watercress). I've posted this before but I've changed it a bit since....

Veteran Member
8089 posts

Options

Posted to Thread #8808 at 1:31 am on Nov 25, 2007

Based on Julia Child's Cream of Watercress Soup for Mastering I.

1 large or 2 small leeks, white and tender green, thinly sliced
4 Tbs. butter
3 Tbs. flour
6 cups boiling chicken stock
A big bunch of sorrel leaves, well washed and stems pulled off backwards, like spinach, (or 3 to 4 cups packed cups of fresh water cress leaves)
1/2 tsp. salt
Freshly ground pepper

2 egg yolks
1/2 cup whipping cream

"Sweat" the leeks slowly in butter in a covered saucepan for about 1/2 hour, until very tender. Uncover, raise heat and evaporate excess moisture.

Sprinkle in the flour and stir over moderate heat for 3 minutes.

Off heat, beat in the boiling stock. Simmer for 10 minutes, Stir in the sorrel (or water cress) and salt, and simmer 10 minutes more, until very tender. Puree in a blender. Return the soup to the saucepan and season with salt and pepper. (If not to be served immediately, set aside uncovered. It can be refrigerated for a few days, or frozen at this point. Reheat to simmer before prodeeding.)

Blend the yolks and cream in a mixing bowl. Beat a cupful of the soup into them by dribbles. Gradually beat in the rest of the soup. Return the soup to the saucepan and stir over moderate heat for a minute or two to poach the egg yolks, but do not bring the soup to the simmer.

Serve hot or cold, with a dollop of creme fraiche or sour cream, and chopped chives.

Other messages in this thread: