Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Ang, try making one batch with the cayenne pepper added. REC: Gayle's Spicy Peanunt Brittle
Joined: Dec 9, 2005
Posted to Thread #8918 at 1:15 pm on Dec 6, 2007
I used Gayle's recipe and made traditional and then the slightly spicy. It was addicting to say the least.
* Exported from MasterCook *
Gayle's Spicy Peanut Brittle
Recipe By :Gayle_MO
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Candy Christmas
Peanut Brittle Thanksgiving
Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 cups sugar
1 cup light Karo syrup
1 cup water
2 cups raw peanuts
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
In a large heavy pan combine: sugar, Karo Syrup and water.
Boil this mixture until it reaches 238 degrees on a candy thermometer.
Then add raw peanuts. 1/4 tsp salt. Continue to cook, stirring frequently.
Continue cooking and stirring until thermometer reaches 290 degrees - hard crack - remove from the burner and add: vanilla and butter.
Quickly stir together and add: baking soda and cayenne pepper.
Mix well and, working quickly, pour onto buttered cookie sheet. Use two if you want it super thin. Spread quickly and let cool.
Break into pieces and store in airtight tin or canister. I have doubled this recipe but mostly I make a batch and a half as it fits in the pan better when boiling up.
Gnote:I have made this with cashews and other nuts, too. Good stuff and not hard on the teeth!
Dnote: I prefer to make this on two sheets, much thinner.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Sometimes you just need to look reality in the eye, and deny it. �Garrison Keillor
Other messages in this thread:
- 8918. Anyone made Torrone? - franinva - 8:20pm on 12/03/07 (23)
- I saw the Gourmet recipe, Fran. I've made Emeril's recipe for the past 3 years and it's wonderful. - CynUpstateNY - 1:31am on 12/04/07
- Yes, and what a pain it was! - sandra-in-australia - 2:19am on 12/04/07
- I have a dime sized blob that is still stuck on the back of the microwave from last December. It - CynUpstateNY - 10:47am on 12/04/07
- Well since the blob has been living in your microwave, did you name it? Charge it rent? hahahaha :) [NT] - dianncy64 - 2:27pm on 12/04/07
- An old and very painful memory in my life also. Never could get the nouget part to firm up. [NT] - aajay - 4:44pm on 12/04/07
- I need to buy a clue...is Torrone similar to Nougat? This thread might be helpful. [NT] [LINK] - Traca - 3:08am on 12/04/07
- Here's a Non-T&T from Michael Chiarello [LINK] - MarilynFL - 6:22pm on 12/04/07
- LOL, Marilyn, I conquered the Candy Curse with Peanut Brittle. try it babe. it was painless. [NT] - AngAk - 10:18pm on 12/04/07
- Ang, I don't know why, but I CAN make peanut brittle...and quickly too. 20 minutes done. - MarilynFL - 1:26pm on 12/05/07
- Here is one I bet you can make too. REC: Poppycock - Dawn_MO - 4:48pm on 12/05/07
- ...and to think I used to "air pop" just to save calories. Who knew this was waiting for me to try. [NT] - MarilynFL - 6:13pm on 12/05/07
- Always glad to help a friend! ;P [NT] - Dawn_MO - 7:03pm on 12/05/07
- Yay, and who needs caramel anyway! I mean, I would surely take some made by someone else. - AngAk - 8:53pm on 12/05/07
- What recipe are you using, Ang? [NT] - CynUpstateNY - 11:16pm on 12/05/07
- For the Nut Brittle, this recipe from foodandwine [LINK] - AngAk - 12:32am on 12/06/07
- Oh, and Cyn, your jam was gone the first morning. the kids all LOVED it. [NT] - AngAk - 12:33am on 12/06/07
- So happy you liked it! [NT] - CynUpstateNY - 12:34am on 12/07/07
- Ang, try making one batch with the cayenne pepper added. REC: Gayle's Spicy Peanunt Brittle - Dawn_MO - 1:15pm on 12/06/07
- okey doke. since I'm making a bazillion batches, might as well add some fire to some. [NT] - AngAk - 8:06pm on 12/06/07
- Does this have to be made on a dry day. I'm not sure we'll ever have another one! [NT] - CynUpstateNY - 12:32am on 12/07/07
- I don't think this is as sensitive to humidity, but Marilyn could probably answer this. - AngAk - 1:15am on 12/07/07
- Just saw this posting about peanut brittle... - GayleMO - 3:41am on 12/08/07
- We have this every year at Christmastime--it's an Italian tradition. Look in >> - ErininPrague - 12:13pm on 12/06/07