Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Rec: Carol Field's Grissini
Joined: Dec 19, 2005
Posted to Thread #9193 at 6:19 pm on Jan 2, 2008
Carol Field's Grissini Torinesi
Makes about 32
Adapted from "The Italian Baker" by Carol Field (Morrow Cookbooks, 1985). Malt syrup is available at some natural food stores such as the Food Mill in Oakland.
1 3/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
1 tablespoon malt syrup
1 1/4 cups warm water
2 tablespoons olive oil + more for brushing the dough
3 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt + more for sprinkling
1/2 cup semolina flour for sprinkling
Instructions: Stir yeast and malt into warm water in the bowl of a stand mixer. Let stand until foamy, about 10 minutes. Mix in 2 tablespoons oil with paddle attachment. Add flour and salt and mix until dough comes together. Change to dough hook and knead at low speed about 3 minutes. Finish kneading briefly by hand on a lightly floured surface. Alternatively, you can mix dough by hand and knead by hand until dough is smooth, soft, velvety and elastic, 8 to 10 minutes.
Pat the dough with your hands into a 14- x 4-inch rectangle on a well-floured surface. Lightly brush top with oil. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
Sprinkle dough with semolina flour before cutting and stretching. Cut dough crosswise into 4 equal sections, then cut each section into 8 strips about the width of a finger. The dough is so elastic that you can simply pick up each piece and stretch it between your hands to fit the width of a baking sheet. Place the breadsticks on lightly oiled baking sheets.
Preheat the oven to 400°. Just before baking, spray the breadsticks lightly with water and sprinkle with kosher salt. Bake the breadsticks until light brown and crisp, 20 to 25 minutes.
My Note: on the PBS program, she oiled a wooden cutting board and patted out the dough on the oiled board. Sprinkle poppyseeds/salt/whatever, BEFORE cutting out.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain
Other messages in this thread:
- 9193. Calabrese-lollipops-antipasto-on-stick....I am DEFINITELY doing these for NY's!!! [NT] [LINK] - Luisa_Calif - 7:24pm on 12/28/07 (20)
- Luisa, Great, fun recipe! Thanks for posting! On my list for this New Years Eve [NT] - barb_b - 9:38pm on 12/28/07
- Gee, how clever is that! I love those skinny little bread sticks. [NT] - cheezz - 4:54am on 12/29/07
- Luisa, if it's not too much trouble, could you give me the recipe directions?... - Marianne - 4:52pm on 12/29/07
- Can you get a photo of them? I haven't made them yet but they look super easy. Directions below>>> - Luisa_Calif - 5:48pm on 12/29/07
- I've done this with prosciutto. Served them in an ice cream sundae glass at an outdoor party. [NT] - CynUpstateNY - 6:11pm on 12/29/07
- Marianne - here's just the pic of the Calabrese-Lollipops. [IMAGE] - RuthAB - 6:13pm on 12/29/07
- Luisa, thanks so much to you and to RuthAB for your help. Happy New Year! [NT] - Marianne - 2:21pm on 12/30/07
- well, I found the tiny grissini, at a pretty good price $1.99 for 4.25 oz versus $6.99 for 8 oz - Luisa_Calif - 2:24am on 12/30/07
- Luisa - where did you find it? World Market? [NT] - cheezz - 4:47am on 12/30/07
- I found al the grissini choices at the Nugget (upscale market in our area) however... - Luisa_Calif - 12:58am on 12/31/07
- I see World Market has them for $3.99 -- you got a good deal! :) [NT] - cheezz - 2:35am on 12/31/07
- Luisa, try your supermarket for the arugula, I've been seeing it in bags. And TraderJoes carries it. [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 3:09pm on 12/30/07
- I found some arugula in a small plastic box in the herbs section at Winco but... - Luisa_Calif - 1:02am on 12/31/07
- Check with the organic produce that is in bags. Earthbound Farms is one brand that packages it in - Curious1 - 3:05pm on 12/31/07
- I wanted to make these for tonight, and actually found the Calabrese - Dawn_MO - 4:36pm on 12/31/07
- HA! Like when I was searching for chocolate cups to fill with mousse... "seasonal item" - HUH?! [NT] - cheezz - 8:45pm on 12/31/07
- Just don't make these too far in advance, the breadsticks can get soft. - AngAk - 10:02pm on 12/31/07
- Grissini making video from PBS with Julia Child and Carol Field. [LINK] - AngAk - 10:10pm on 12/31/07
- If you find the recipe could you post it? TIA [NT] - Luisa_Calif - 2:00am on 01/01/08
- Rec: Carol Field's Grissini - AngAk - 6:19pm on 01/02/08