Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
|Michael in Phoenix||
A truly WONDERFUL Gingerbread Cookie recipe inside. (m)
Joined: Dec 9, 2005
Posted to Thread #3 at 5:25 pm on Dec 15, 2005
This came from Teresa Parker. She posted it on Gail's Swap very early on. Here is my version:
I have tried others, including some very well respected recipes from popular cookbooks, and I always come back to these! They are wonderfully spicy, with just the right amount of sweetness, not too much molasses, and they are not dry. They're the Christmas standard for me now... no more contenders!
The only drawback to this recipe is that the dough can be hard to work with. I let it come practically to room temperature before rolling it out, and I keep the rolling pin lightly floured so it doesn't stick. You can make the dough in advance and freeze it, or just form it into a log and wrap in plastic wrap to store in the fridge for a few days before baking.
The length of time they should be baked will depend on the type and color of cookie sheet you use and whether or not you want soft or crunchy cookies. One thing to watch for is that one or two minutes in the oven either way will give you either a soft or hard cookie. It can be a bit tricky to find the right timing, but definitely worth it. Tip: Make sure you use fresh spices, especially the ground ginger. Also, I bake these on ungreased parchment paper. They slide right off.
5 1/2 cups *SIFTED* all purpose flour
1 cup vegetable shortening
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
1 cup molasses (I use Grandma's Original)
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla flavoring
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
Sift flour, baking soda, salt and spices onto waxed paper. Beat vegetable shortening w/sugar until fluffy light; beat in molasses, egg and vanilla.
Stir in flour mixture a third at a time, blending well after each addition, to make a soft dough. Wrap in foil and refrigerate 3 to 4 hours or overnight.
When ready to make the cookies, roll out 1/4 of the dough at a time to a 1/8 inch thickness on a lightly floured surface. Place 1 inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake in a 350 degree preheated oven for 8 minutes or until cookies are firm, but not too dark. Remove to wire racks with a spatula to cool. Decorate with frosting and allow frosting to harden before storing.
Makes about 6 doz. 3 inch cookies.
We hope you enjoy these as much as we do!
Human liberty is about courage, dignity, eternal truths, and personal responsibility. Star Parker
Other messages in this thread:
- 3. And now, on with the recipes! ISO the Christmas Cookie recipes you make every year.... - Mimi - 7:52pm on 12/09/05 (43)
- REC: Cathedral Windows - Mimi - 7:53pm on 12/09/05
- REC: Judy's Nut Balls - Mimi - 7:54pm on 12/09/05
- Rec: Martha's Lime Meltaways... yum - DawnNYS - 9:49pm on 12/09/05
- ISO I think they call them Russian Tea Cakes, but more like a - DawnNYS - 6:36pm on 12/14/05
- Fruit Bars - Music City Missy - 11:31pm on 12/09/05
- Rec: Butterballs aka Snowballs - Pat-NoCal - 2:38am on 12/10/05
- I second the Snowball Cookie recipe! - Gayle_n_MO - 3:16am on 12/10/05
- Rec: No-Mix Layer Bars, not really a cookie, more of a bar, but it's not the holidays for me (more) - Pat-NoCal - 2:47am on 12/10/05
- Me Too, Pat- and Hi everybody!! - CathyZ from Kauai - 6:30pm on 12/10/05
- Hi Cathy, yes, aren't they the best?! Can you send me an email, I lost your addy in a 'puter crash. - Pat-NoCal - 7:02pm on 12/10/05
- You betcha- I wondered what happened to you! NT [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 7:47pm on 12/10/05
- I got busy with the new job at the restaurant, then the 'puter crashed. I look fwd to catching up. [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 9:37pm on 12/10/05
- REC: Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Cookies - MariaDNoCA - 5:12am on 12/10/05
- Softer Sugar Cookies - MariaDNoCA - 5:21am on 12/10/05
- REC: Gramma's Gingersnaps - Dawn_MO - 4:58pm on 12/10/05
- REC: Melting Moments - Dawn_MO - 5:00pm on 12/10/05
- Oh, these are TDF! Here are frosting ideas... - Friday - 9:54pm on 12/10/05
- REC: my favorite Sugar Cookies - Mimi - 5:24pm on 12/10/05
- REC: Peanut Blossoms (my kids absolutely must have these) - Mimi - 5:25pm on 12/10/05
- Chocolate Dipped Peanut Butter Bugles - Misplaced in AZ - 6:08pm on 12/10/05
- Oh good grief. I have to try this. [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 8:58pm on 12/10/05
- So nice to see you here, Cathy Z!! NT [NT] - deb-in-MI - 8:43pm on 12/11/05
- thank you Deb! It is great to see you here too- and I am ecstatic about Mimi's site! (nt) [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 12:35am on 12/12/05
- This is the one I would make if I only could make ONE kind REC - CathyZ from Kauai - 6:33pm on 12/10/05
- Cathy - what is mapeline? n/t [NT] - MariaDNoCA - 6:43pm on 12/10/05
- Mapeline is a concentrated maple flavored liquid sort of like vanilla (nt) [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 8:23pm on 12/10/05
- Thanks! n/t [NT] - MariaDNoCA - 10:57pm on 12/12/05
- Maria, I found Mapleine today at Safeway, it's an imitation maple extract made by.... - Pat-NoCal - 12:24am on 12/13/05
- Quad L Chocolate Layer Bars - OrigCyn - 9:14pm on 12/10/05
- Mocha Mountains - OrigCyn - 9:16pm on 12/10/05
- These sound scrumptious - thank you.. - deb-in-MI - 8:45pm on 12/11/05
- Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies - Friday - 9:57pm on 12/10/05
- I love these- Italian Fig Cookies - CynUpstateNY - 1:03am on 12/11/05
- I call these butter cookies "Popcorn cookies" because you can't eat just one and they are delicious. - Gail_in_FL - 4:53am on 12/11/05
- A festive, very pretty and tasty cookie for Christmas: Christmas Wreaths - Gail_in_FL - 4:59am on 12/11/05
- If you want a post deleted, let me know. [NT] - Mimi - 1:58pm on 12/11/05
- A festive, very pretty and tasty cookie for Christmas: Christmas Wreaths - Gail_in_FL - 5:12am on 12/11/05
- REC: Rum-And-Raisin Cookies - RuthAB - 6:34pm on 12/11/05
- YOOHOO! ISO Susan/TN! Please post your fruitcake cookies for these nice folks! [NT] - Friday - 7:48pm on 12/11/05
- Rec: Hazelnut Brown Butter Shortbread - RuthSF - 7:44am on 12/12/05
- REC: Princess Gems - Dawn_MO - 4:06pm on 12/12/05
- A truly WONDERFUL Gingerbread Cookie recipe inside. (m) - Michael in Phoenix - 5:25pm on 12/15/05
- REC: Cranzer Torte Bars - RuthAB - 1:05am on 12/19/05