Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
REC: BEET AND GOAT CHEESE SALAD WITH PISTACHIOS One of my favourites. Very elegant
Joined: Dec 10, 2005
Posted to Thread #9622 at 5:32 pm on Jan 31, 2008
BEET AND GOAT CHEESE SALAD WITH PISTACHIOS
Active time: 30 min Start to finish: 2 1/2 hr
3 large red beets (1 2/3 lb without greens)
2 large golden beets (1 lb without greens) (I used all red)
1/4 cup minced shallot
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup pistachio oil
4 oz soft mild goat cheese
3 tablespoons salted shelled pistachios (not dyed red), coarsely chopped (hazelnuts would work just as well, just use a little noisette oil instead of pistachio)
1 oz mâche (also called lamb's lettuce), trimmed (4 cups)
Special equipment: a 2 1/2-inch round cookie cutter (without handle; at least 2 inches high)
Preheat oven to 425̊F.
Separately wrap red and golden beets tightly in double layers of foil and roast in middle of oven until tender, 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Unwrap beets.
While beets are cooling slightly, whisk together shallot, lemon juice, salt, and pepper in a small bowl, then add oil in a stream, whisking.
When beets are cool enough to handle, slip off and discard skins. Separately cut red and golden beets into 1/4-inch dice and put in separate bowls. Add 2 1/2 tablespoons dressing to each bowl and toss to coat.
Place cookie cutter in center of 1 of 8 salad plates. Put one eighth of red beets in cutter and pack down with your fingertips. Crumble 2 teaspoons goat cheese on top, then one eighth of golden beets, packing them down. Gently lift cutter up and away from stack. Make 7 more servings in same manner. Drizzle each plate with 1 teaspoon dressing and scatter with some pistachios.
Toss mâche with just enough remaining dressing to coat and gently mound on top of beets. Serve immediately.
• Beets can be roasted and diced 1 day ahead and chilled, covered. Bring to room temperature before using.
• Molded beet salad (without mâche) can be assembled 45 minutes ahead and kept, covered, at cool room temperature.
Makes 8 servings.
Gourmet December 2002
Other messages in this thread:
- 9622. I ordered two pounds of yellow beets from the co-op, has anyone had these? - Dawn_MO - 11:13pm on 01/30/08 (4)
- I've roasted them, diced and used in a salad with red ones, goat cheese, and almonds. yummy. [NT] - MarilynFL - 1:13pm on 01/31/08
- We've grown yellow beets in our garden. - KC_ - 3:07pm on 01/31/08
- REC: BEET AND GOAT CHEESE SALAD WITH PISTACHIOS One of my favourites. Very elegant - Marg CDN - 5:32pm on 01/31/08
- Check this out: Roasted Red and Yellow Beets with Goat Cheese and Lemon-Tarragon Vinaigrette [NT] [LINK] - Meryl - 4:06pm on 02/01/08