Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.

Close
Pat-NoCal

Rec: Red Potato Salad with Bacon and Blue Cheese

Veteran Member
6211 posts

Options

Posted to Thread #9734 at 5:53 pm on Feb 11, 2008

Red Potato Salad with Bacon and Blue Cheese

1-1/4 lbs. red potatoes, skin on, sliced 1/4" thick
4 strips of thick sliced bacon, diced
1 shallot, minced
1/2 cup white wine vinegar
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp Dijon mustard
Salt and pepper
2 oz. blue cheese, crumbled
1/4 cup scallions, bias sliced

Bring potato slices to a boil in salted water. cook until tender but not falling apart, about 10 minutes; drain. Sauté bacon (as taters cook) in a nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Cook until crisp and browned, abut 5 minutes. Remove from pan and drain on paper towel lined plate; pour off all but 2 T. of drippings. Add shallot; sauté over medium heat until soft. Stir in vinegar, oil, sugar (Annie used Splenda), mustard, salt, and pepper; simmer 1 minute. Remove from heat and pour dressing onto a baking sheet. Top with hot drained potatoes. Add blue cheese, scallions, and reserved bacon; toss gently to coat. season with salt and pepper if desired. Serve warm or room temperature.

Source: Annie from 10/04 Cuisine at Home

Pat’s notes: Very very good, easy too. Served with Pan-Roasted Pork Tenderloin with Herb-and-Mustard Crust and a salad. I let the drained hot potatoes sit in the vinaigrette (in a large bowl instead of a baking sheet) for a bit to cool down and absorb a little of the vinaigrette flavor before tossing with the blue cheese, scallions and bacon. Recommend upping the bacon a bit, especially if you (OR YOUR SPOUSE) are one to munch on them as they sit on the counter calling out to you "eat me, eat me"...LOL. One more thing, I didn't leave 2 tbsp bacon grease in the pan, only enough to saute the shallot, didn't think we needed that much more fat in addition to the olive oil.

Next time I want to try this grilled version which sounds similar and excellent reviews:
http://www.foodtv.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_8558,00.html

Other messages in this thread: