Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.

Close
Joe

REC: Chiles en Nogada

Veteran Member
8089 posts

Options

Posted to Thread #1046 at 3:00 pm on Mar 4, 2006

Chiles en Nogada

(NOTE: If you saw the movie “Like Water for Chocolate,” this was served in the final wedding scene. It’s great for a party because it’s served cold and can be made the day before. It makes a beautiful platter, with dark green chiles, white sauce and red pomegranate seeds: Mexico’s colors. If you can't get pomegranates, cherry tomatoes will do.

I like to roast peppers on the barbecue—you can do a lot at once that way. Now if I could find a faster way of peeling them I’d make this more often.

A kilogram is about 2 lb., but I don’t think proportions are very important here.)

CHILES EN NOGADO

From the novel “Like Water for Chocolate” by Laura Esquirel
(Serves at least 12. Can be halved)

25 Chiles Poblanos, roasted, peeled and seeded

2 medium onions, chopped
Oil
1 kg. ground beef and/or pork
Cumin
Sugar
¼ kg. almonds, chopped
¼ kg. walnuts, chopped
½ kg. tomatoes, chopped
100 grams raisins
2 candied citrons (don’t know how to translate this—I’ve just used grated lemon zest)
1 peach, chopped
1 apple or pear, chopped
Salt and pepper

100 cashew nuts
100 grams queso fresco
1½ cups (about) Mexican crema (or a mixture
of half whipping cream and half sour cream)

8 pomegranates

To make the picadillo: Fry the onion in a little oil until transparent. Add the meat, cumin to taste and a little sugar. Brown. Stir in peach, apple or pear, walnuts, almonds, raisins and tomatoes. Add salt and pepper to taste and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated. Let cool.

Grind the cashews and cheese together. Add cream to make a thick sauce. If it's too thick, thin with a little milk.

Stuff the chiles with the picadillo and arrange on a platter. Top with the sauce, leaving the green ends showing. Sprinkle with pomegranate seeds.

Other messages in this thread: