Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Rec: Chicken Saltimbocca. A yummy Lidia Bastianich recipe using Cook’s Illustrated’s techniques.
Joined: Dec 11, 2005
Posted to Thread #10334 at 8:59 pm on Apr 6, 2008
If you can, go to Cook’s Illustrated's website to find the recipe/techniques for this wonderful dish that includes a lemon sauce that I want to try next time. It’s in the April, 2008 magazine. I give a lot of credit to Cook’s Illustrated for their techniques in making this dish.
I pounded four chicken breasts to 1/3”. I pulled off all of the tiny useable sage leaves that I could in order to infuse the oil and use as a garnish. I used kosher salt and coarse ground pepper. I bought six thin slices of prosciutto separated in wax paper and used some smaller pieces to cover the entire amount of chicken. I pressed the prosciutto onto the chicken and let it sit until it became room temperature.
After cooking, I was amazed how all of the prosciutto adhered to the chicken and was nice and crispy. The sauce was delicious and the leftovers were even better the next day.
A recap of Cook’s techniques that I followed:
They preflour the chicken with pepper and shake off the excess. The chicken is then topped with chopped sage before adding a thin layer of prosciuttto to fit. A few additional sage leaves are added (optional) to the olive oil for 15 to 20 seconds to infuse the oil and/or reserve as a pretty and delicious adornment for the chicken. The chicken is first cooked prosciutto-side down for two to three minutes so that the prosciutto adheres to the chicken.
Link: Chicken Saltimbocca
Other messages in this thread:
- 10334. Rec: Chicken Saltimbocca. A yummy Lidia Bastianich recipe using Cook’s Illustrated’s techniques. [LINK] - Sandy_in_Philly - 8:59pm on 04/06/08 (10)
- I love Lidia Bastianich's recipes. So far, they have all been awesome. I'll definitely try this! [NT] - EvaN - 12:44pm on 04/07/08
- I get the biggest kick out of a promo for her PBS show that's airing now. She takes a taste of ... - Michael in Phoenix - 1:40pm on 04/08/08
- Sandy asked me to add that chicken is cooked prosciutto side down first for 2 to 3 mins. [NT] - Curious1 - 1:57pm on 04/07/08
- Thanks Curious! I'm now going to edit the recipe to include that most important technique. [NT] - Sandy_in_Philly - 8:08pm on 04/07/08
- Can't help it...I keep seeing Cirque du Soleil characters flying around the kitchen, making this. [NT] [LINK] - MarilynFL - 3:15pm on 04/07/08
- Marilyn, you need to read Water for Elephants. Circus and nursing home issues, all in one book. - AngAk - 6:03pm on 04/07/08
- Oh dear...but I LOVE lemonade. Especially pink strawberry. Cause I'm a girl. [NT] - MarilynFL - 11:49am on 04/08/08
- LOL!!! [NT] - Sandy_in_Philly - 8:13pm on 04/07/08
- sage in the oil--reminds me of the Tyler Florence fried chicken episode where he infused the oil - AngAk - 5:46pm on 04/07/08
- For the record, Tyler Florence's fried chicken recipe ROCKS! I made it frequently when I first [LINK] - Traca - 11:49pm on 04/07/08