Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
REC: Carrot Pudding. This tastes more complex than you'd think from the ingredient list...
Joined: Dec 14, 2005
Posted to Thread #1102 at 3:59 am on Mar 12, 2006
and because all the liquid is absorbed, the flavor is very intense. The first time I made it I thought the carrots would turn to mush, but they don't.
from "Simple French Food" by Richard Olney. Serves 4-6.
2 lb. carrots, peeled and coarsely grated
1/3 cup butter
The juice of 1/2 lemon, or more to taste
1 tsp. sugar
Water to cover
1-1/2 cups heavy cream
Butter for the baking dish
Combine the carrots, butter, lemon juice, salt and sugar in a saucepan, pour over just enough water to barely cover, bring to a boil, and simmer, covered, for about 1/2 hour, then over a high flame, stirring all the while with a wooden spoon, cook until all the liquid has evaporated. Leave to cool for about 10 minutes.
Whisk together the cream, eggs and seasonings, stir into the carrots, pour into a buttered baking dish, and bake for about 25 minutes or until the surface is swelled and brown.
Other messages in this thread:
- 1102. What to do with a 5-pound bag of shredded carrots??? - Anna_X - 3:25am on 03/12/06 (12)
- How about carrot cake, Anna. Click on the link for a whole thread of possibilities. [NT] [LINK] - Pat-NoCal - 3:50am on 03/12/06
- REC: Carrot Pudding. This tastes more complex than you'd think from the ingredient list... - Joe - 3:59am on 03/12/06
- Two REC: "Carrot Rapee" and "Carrot Soup With Spinach Chiffonade" - Meryl - 4:41am on 03/12/06
- REC: Carrot and Coriander Roulade - sandra-in-london - 12:13pm on 03/12/06
- Could you tell me what 125 g and 750 g are in American cups? Thanks! NT [NT] - Anna_X - 7:17pm on 03/12/06
- Grams are a weight measurement - Pat in TO - 8:14pm on 03/12/06
- REC: Golden Carrot Risotto - judy-mass - 2:02pm on 03/12/06
- Here is a good one. REC: Thai Carrot Soup - Dawn_MO - 4:01pm on 03/12/06
- Wow! What a treasury of ideas! - Anna_X - 7:12pm on 03/12/06
- Carrot soup, starting with sauteed shallots. Chick broth. Cream. Cumin as main flavour. [NT] - Marg CDN - 8:32pm on 03/12/06
- Or cumin and toasted ground coriander. [NT] - Marg CDN - 8:33pm on 03/12/06
- The sweet and sour carrots up in favorites are very good. [NT] - AngAk - 9:43pm on 03/14/06