Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
REC: Warm Chicken Salad with Mango and Avocado. I haven't made this in a while, but I'm lucky
Joined: Dec 14, 2005
Posted to Thread #10594 at 12:17 pm on May 6, 2008
enough to have a treeful of avocados, so this is on my list. The rum-paprika dressing really makes this unusual:
WARM CHICKEN SALAD WITH MANGO AND AVOCADO
From <i>Classic Home Cooking</i> by Mary Berry and Marlena Speiler.
3 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into 1-inch strips
1 head of Boston or Bibb lettuce, leaves separated (spinach is nice too)
1 bunch of watercress, trimmed
1 mango, peeled, pitted, and sliced lengthwise*
1 avocado, peeled, pitred, and sliced lengthwise right before serving
1/4 cup dark rum
Paprika to garnish
2 Tbs. olive oil
2 Tbs. lemon juice
2 tsp. balsamic vinegar
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 Tbs. paprika
2 tsp. chopped fresh red chili
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
Salt to taste
Make the marinade: Combine all marinade ingredients; toss the chicken strips in the marinade, cover, and leave to marinate for a few minutes.
Arrange beds of lettuce and watercress on 4 serving plates. Arrange the mango and avocado slices on top.
Heat a large skillet and add the chicken strips and their marinade. Cook over high heat, stirring. for 5-6 minutes, until golden on all sides and cooked through.
Using a slotted spoon, remove the chicken strips from the pan and srrange on top of the avocado and mango.
Return to skillet to the heat and pour in the rum. Let it simmer, stirring constantly to dissolve any browned bits in the skillet and incorporating the cooking juices, about 1 minute. Pour the hot rum mixture over the salads, sprinkle with a little paprika, and serve immediately.
* The best way I know to slice mangos is to cut away thick slices with the skin on, score the flesh down to the skin, then cut the skin away.
Other messages in this thread:
- 10594. REC: Warm Chicken Salad with Mango and Avocado. I haven't made this in a while, but I'm lucky - Joe - 12:17pm on 05/06/08 (6)
- oh look Angie! Dinner we can drink! Thanks Joe! [NT] - MarilynFL - 12:38pm on 05/06/08
- and I even have a leftover ripe avocado from my giant bowl of bean salsa I made today for work - AngAk - 1:28pm on 05/06/08
- Trip report please....Did you have fun??? Would love to hear the highlights! - barb_b - 1:48pm on 05/06/08
- Ooofda, Joe. This sounds gReAt. I don't care if... - Michael in Phoenix - 8:12pm on 05/07/08
- Michael, I believe this is the first time the words "Ooofda" and "Mango" were used together. - Joe - 12:32pm on 05/08/08
- Norwegian-Caribbean no problem! put in an "ompha "(sp?) & feta and we have a party! [NT] - Nan - 3:23pm on 05/14/08