Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.

Close
Traca

Luscious Lemon Ice Cream - a real showstopper!

Veteran Member
6492 posts

Options

Posted to Thread #10750 at 5:44 am on May 21, 2008

This recipe is from the wonderful book "Sweets: Soul Food Desserts & Memories" and the base is a lemon curd mixed with cream. The end result is an ice cream that has the most wonderful creamy texture. Last summer I was on an ice cream kick and made over 20 kinds. This recipe trumps them all!

If I never made anything from this book, the stories are worth the price alone. (I'll add some of my favorite quotes at the bottom.)

Aint Tee's Luscious Lemon Ice Cream

"Aint Tee" was what we called My MY's sister, Laura. Aint Tee wasn't too quick to give out her recipes....not even to family. In fact, if she agreed to give you a recipe, you had to agree to give her one back. Aint Tee traded recipes the way we children traded paper dolls and marbles.

This ice cream has a soft, smooth texture and it tastes lemony delicious. I like to fix myself a heaping bowl covered in raspberry sauce.

3 egg yolks
2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 cup milk
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
2 cups heavy cream
1/2 tablespoon grated lemon zest

In a large, heavy saucepan whisk together the egg yolks, sugar, cornstarch, milk, and lemon juice. Cook the mixture over medium heat, whisking constantly until a candy thermometer reaches 175 degrees, about 15 minutes. Do not allow to boil.

Strain the mixture through a sieve into a bowl and cool in the refridgerator for at least 3 hours.

Add the cream and the lemon zest to the cooked canister of a 2 quart ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions.

Makes about 1 1/2 quarts.

Fun quotes from the book:

When I was growing up, the women in my family were the most passionate cooks I knew. They cooked from their hearts and souls. Whether or not they would admit to it, they used every meal as an opportunity to flaunt their culinary skills, as an opportunity for prestige and to be noticed, and a chance to further establish themselves in our small town as the queens of soul food. They could really "put their foot" in the meals they cooked (this is why My My would say when someone outdid herself in the kitchen.)

My parents were wed in 1953. My father says it alll the time, "I asked Ruth to marry me ten minutes after meeting her. She didn't drink, didn't smoke, and she was beautiful. If I'd a known how good a cook she was, I'd a asked her sooner."

You can't do anything about the length of your life, but you can do
something about its depth. - M

Other messages in this thread: