Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Luscious Lemon Ice Cream - a real showstopper!
Joined: Jan 11, 2007
Posted to Thread #10750 at 5:44 am on May 21, 2008
This recipe is from the wonderful book "Sweets: Soul Food Desserts & Memories" and the base is a lemon curd mixed with cream. The end result is an ice cream that has the most wonderful creamy texture. Last summer I was on an ice cream kick and made over 20 kinds. This recipe trumps them all!
If I never made anything from this book, the stories are worth the price alone. (I'll add some of my favorite quotes at the bottom.)
Aint Tee's Luscious Lemon Ice Cream
"Aint Tee" was what we called My MY's sister, Laura. Aint Tee wasn't too quick to give out her recipes....not even to family. In fact, if she agreed to give you a recipe, you had to agree to give her one back. Aint Tee traded recipes the way we children traded paper dolls and marbles.
This ice cream has a soft, smooth texture and it tastes lemony delicious. I like to fix myself a heaping bowl covered in raspberry sauce.
3 egg yolks
2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 cup milk
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
2 cups heavy cream
1/2 tablespoon grated lemon zest
In a large, heavy saucepan whisk together the egg yolks, sugar, cornstarch, milk, and lemon juice. Cook the mixture over medium heat, whisking constantly until a candy thermometer reaches 175 degrees, about 15 minutes. Do not allow to boil.
Strain the mixture through a sieve into a bowl and cool in the refridgerator for at least 3 hours.
Add the cream and the lemon zest to the cooked canister of a 2 quart ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions.
Makes about 1 1/2 quarts.
Fun quotes from the book:
When I was growing up, the women in my family were the most passionate cooks I knew. They cooked from their hearts and souls. Whether or not they would admit to it, they used every meal as an opportunity to flaunt their culinary skills, as an opportunity for prestige and to be noticed, and a chance to further establish themselves in our small town as the queens of soul food. They could really "put their foot" in the meals they cooked (this is why My My would say when someone outdid herself in the kitchen.)
My parents were wed in 1953. My father says it alll the time, "I asked Ruth to marry me ten minutes after meeting her. She didn't drink, didn't smoke, and she was beautiful. If I'd a known how good a cook she was, I'd a asked her sooner."
You can't do anything about the length of your life, but you can do
something about its depth. - M
Other messages in this thread:
- 10750. Here comes the holiday weekend. [NT] - Scott in Scottsdale - 6:38pm on 05/20/08 (36)
- REC: Easy Baked Beans.... - Scott in Scottsdale - 6:39pm on 05/20/08
- Here these are right at the top, I made them for dinner tonight. Thanks Scott. [NT] - Curious1 - 10:15pm on 05/29/08
- I think we'll fry up a turkey. [NT] - AngAk - 7:16pm on 05/20/08
- Ok, you all can come and bring your yummy side dishes. what a smashing good buffet! [NT] - AngAk - 11:29pm on 05/20/08
- Soy sorry Ang, but considering what happened to you, I'm hesitant to bring [IMAGE] - Sandy_in_Philly - 12:17am on 05/21/08
- Oh, but I'm armed with my EPI pen and I even know how to use it! [NT] - AngAk - 12:27am on 05/21/08
- and I promise to stay away from wholesome organic sweet sugar snap peas that could kill me. - AngAk - 12:35am on 05/21/08
- Angie, is it the combination or can either one cause the problem? [NT] - Curious1 - 7:44pm on 05/21/08
- not sure yet. bloodwork was sent to Mayo for more definitive info. I hope I can do soy. - AngAk - 9:13pm on 05/21/08
- I think you SAVED our Angie. She could have been camping alone and tried one of those foods. - MarilynFL - 12:04pm on 05/21/08
- LOL, soy deprived---I asked the doc if it could be age/hormone related and he said - AngAk - 5:52pm on 05/21/08
- Have you had thyroid function thoroughly checked? [NT] - Marg CDN - 6:26pm on 05/21/08
- Here we go: Epilady - MarilynFL - 7:39pm on 05/21/08
- Ha-ha-ha!! Thanks for the funny EPIsode Mar. Only you could conjure up that memory.... yes, - Sandy_in_Philly - 12:01am on 05/22/08
- LOL, or arm the flight marshals with these for a non-firing weapon. these were as painfully dumb as - AngAk - 12:26am on 05/22/08
- I have a request to make Cowboy Caviar---always a hit. [NT] [LINK] - AngAk - 12:36am on 05/21/08
- So glad you like it, Ang. [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 1:02am on 05/21/08
- Rec posted by MariaD Over the Rainbow Mac and Cheese. [LINK] - barb_b - 7:44pm on 05/20/08
- Sour Cream Dill Potato Salad - Melissa Dallas - 7:50pm on 05/20/08
- Luscious Lemon Ice Cream - a real showstopper! - Traca - 5:44am on 05/21/08
- Traca, you read my mind - I was looking for a lemon ice cream recipe. Thanks! [NT] - Meryl - 6:04am on 05/21/08
- Oooh, I'd love to hear your thoughts. I took the rest of the batch to work and everyone raved... - Traca - 3:44am on 05/22/08
- I made this ice cream this past weekend... - Cindy K MI - 3:30pm on 05/27/08
- I have a great chocolate ice cream recipe from Dorie Greenspan - will post if you're interested. [NT] - Meryl - 5:45pm on 05/27/08
- I *just* e-mailed you about this! :-) [NT] - LisainLA - 5:51pm on 05/27/08
- Hi Lisa - we're in sync! Will check my emails now. [NT] - Meryl - 5:58pm on 05/27/08
- Is it the Chocolate Ganache Ice Cream from her Baking book? - Cindy K MI - 7:42pm on 05/27/08
- Yes it is, but... there are a few tips I should mention to you - One is to definitely [LINK] - Meryl - 4:02am on 05/28/08
- Thanks, Meryl, for the tips... - Cindy K MI - 6:21pm on 05/28/08
- I know this sounds odd, but it was very good. REC: Dill Pickle Salsa - Dawn_MO - 5:57pm on 05/22/08
- this sounds good for a hotdog topping [NT] - AngAk - 6:30pm on 05/22/08
- Dawn this sounds great ~ do you use is as a dip besides and a topping ~ is it good with chips? - dianncy1964 - 10:00pm on 05/22/08
- I don't think it would be good on chips, but I have seen dill pickle potato chips - Dawn_MO - 11:47pm on 05/22/08
- Thank you ~ the potato chip idea sounds good, but you're right I think it's best on hotdogs [NT] - dianncy1964 - 1:33am on 05/23/08