Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
REC: Oven Style "Barbecued" Brisket...
Joined: Dec 16, 2005
Posted to Thread #10757 at 10:51 am on May 21, 2008
Oven style "Barbecued’ Brisket
Recipe By :Mark Bittman
Serving Size : 8
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil -- or vegetable oil, more as needed
5 pounds beef brisket -- (1 whole)
Salt and pepper
1 large onions -- chopped (1 to 2)
2 cups ketchup
1/2 cup dry red wine -- or water
1/4 cup wine vinegar -- or rice vinegar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce -- or soy sauce
1 tablespoon chili powder -- or to taste
2 garlic cloves -- minced or crushed.
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Heat a large pot or Dutch oven that can later be covered over medium-high heat for 2 or 3 minutes. When it is hot, add oil, swirl it around, then add beef. Sear meat for about 5 minutes on each side, seasoning with salt and pepper; when nicely browned, remove from pot. Turn off heat under pot for a minute.
2. Add onion to pot and cook, stirring, over medium-low heat until softened, 5 to 10 minutes (if meat is very lean you might need to add a little oil). Add all remaining ingredients, stir, and cook for about a minute. Return meat to pot, nestling it in sauce.
3. Cover pan, put it in oven, and cook until meat is tender, at least 2 hours and probably closer to 3. When it is done, you can refrigerate it in its liquid for 1 to 2 days before proceeding.
4. Light a charcoal or gas grill or heat broiler; rack should be about 4 inches away from heat source. Drain meat and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill or broil on both sides until brown and crisp, just a few minutes. Meanwhile, skim cooking liquid of fat, warm gently, and use as sauce.
Other messages in this thread:
- 10757. REC: Oven Style "Barbecued" Brisket... - charlie - 10:51am on 05/21/08 (0)