Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
REC: Spicy Black Bean Cakes. These were delicious, and a nice vegetarian alternative to crab cakes..
Joined: Dec 14, 2005
Posted to Thread #10906 at 5:41 pm on Jun 3, 2008
I made them half size for an hors d'oeuvres:
SPICY BLACK BEAN CAKES
From The Breakers, Palm Beach, FL, in Bon Appetit, April, 2001. (epicurious.com) Makes 18.
"I attended a function that featured wonderful hors d’oeuvres—among them, spicy black bean cakes—from chef Matthias Radits of The Breakers in Palm Beach," writes Ruth Acteson of Lantana, Florida. "Do you suppose he would share his recipe?"
The chef serves these little cakes with a mango-avocado salsa, but a purchased salsa would make a fine substitute.
2 15-ounce cans black beans, drained well
6 green onions, finely chopped
1/2 cup finely chopped seeded red bell pepper
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 large garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 tablespoons minced seeded jalapeño chili
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 large egg
2 tablespoons plus 1 cup yellow cornmeal
6 tablespoons (about) olive oil
Place drained beans in large bowl. Using hand masher, mash beans coarsely. Mix in green onions, bell pepper, cilantro, garlic, jalapeño and cumin. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Mix in egg and 2 tablespoons cornmeal.
Place remaining 1 cup cornmeal in small dish. Drop heaping 1 tablespoon of bean mixture into cornmeal; turn to coat. Flatten into 1/2-inch-thick cake. Repeat with remaining bean mixture and cornmeal, forming 18 cakes.
Heat 3 tablespoons oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Working in batches, fry bean cakes until firm and crisp, adding more oil as needed, about 6 minutes per side. Drain bean cakes on paper towels. Transfer to platter. Serve warm with sour cream and salsa.
Link: Spicy Black Bean Cakes
Other messages in this thread:
- 10906. REC: Spicy Black Bean Cakes. These were delicious, and a nice vegetarian alternative to crab cakes.. [LINK] - Joe - 5:41pm on 06/03/08 (6)
- Great idea for a little hors d'oeuvre. Have you frozen them? [NT] - Marg CDN - 6:36pm on 06/03/08
- No, I haven't gotten that far. I think they'd suffer in texture; I've never like frozen beans. [NT] - Joe - 8:30pm on 06/03/08
- Lookes really good-here's one I often makeREC:Black Bean Burgers -Spicy Cucumber&Red Pepper Relish.. - charlie - 7:31pm on 06/03/08
- Sounds good! Another delicious one from Cooking Light: Black Bean Patties with Cilantro & Lime: - Meryl - 7:40pm on 06/03/08
- Sounds good -thanks, Joe! [NT] - Meryl - 7:40pm on 06/03/08
- Made these last night Joe. I loved them. Next time, I'd try to cook the garlic a bit, in advance - Marg CDN - 3:32pm on 06/07/08