Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.

Close
MarilynFL

Sitting here with sign around my neck "Will Larder Barder for Tomatoes"

Veteran Member
16223 posts

Options

Posted to Thread #10964 at 5:23 pm on Jun 8, 2008

All this talk about home-grown or locally-grown tomatoes is driving my taste-buds into overdrive.

First, a point of clarification: I spent the first 26 years of my life DESPISING fresh tomatoes. As far as I was concerned, they ruined a perfectly good salad. I couldn't eat a sandwich once a tomato--even if removed--had been layered in it. Chicken salad nestled in a tomato half was sheer mockery...its <i>tomato-iness</i> tainting the chicken flavor.

All this changed the day George C, age unknown but as sweet as an old, crotchy Italian can be, gave me a paper bag filled with his home-grown western PA tomatoes. George and I worked together at Westinghouse. He was a union draftsman while I was the token non-union female draftsperson hired to counter-balance 144 men. God Bless the math of Affirmative Action.

George had walked home for lunch and picked a bag full of vine-ripened beauties for me. I received them 30 minutes later still warm from the sun.

Unlike my daily 120-mile commute now, back then my commute was a 0.7 mile walk to Westinghouse. I had planned on making spaghetti sauce with the tomatoes, but the smell was almost overwhelming on the walk home. For some bizarre, unfathomable reason, I wanted to eat one, invalidating 26 years of established behavioral patterns.

If I could handle being the only female in a unionized male bastion, I could brave trying a fresh tomato. I placed this intrepid act on the same level as Jonus Salk testing the polio vaccine on himself.

This tomato was tart; it was acidy; it was Love at First Bite. Or, to quote Count Dracula from the movie of the same name: <i>"Children of the night, shut up!"</i>

See link at Larder Barter for offer of "Dyslexic Bittersweet Chocolate Sauce with Issues" for fresh tomatoes. I want to make Laurie Colwin's tomato pie and am not prepared to waste 14 points per slice on mealy, tasteless tomatoes.

Link: http://www.roanoke.com/columnists/macy/recipes/wb/wb/xp-45124

Jesus saves. Buddha recycles.

Other messages in this thread: