Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
|Michael in Phoenix||
Here's a link to the recipe, inside a nice little essay about Laurie Colwin.
Joined: Dec 9, 2005
Posted to Thread #10955 at 4:42 pm on Jun 9, 2008
Laurie Colwinís Creamed Spinach with Jalapeno Peppers
3 10-oz boxes of chopped frozen spinach
2 tablespoons of finely minced onion
1 garlic clove, finely minced
4 tablespoons of butter
2 tablespoons of flour
1/2 cup heavy cream, or a mixture of milk and heavy cream
8 oz of pepperjack cheese, in small pieces
additional chopped pickled jalapenos (optional)
1. Cook the spinach according to the package directions. Drain the spinach well (I sometimes squeeze it dry in a tea towel - the drier you can get it, the better the cream sauce will coat the spinach) reserving 1 cup of the drained spinach liquid. (I emphasize this because more than once I havenít remembered that I needed the spinach liquid until after I had dumped it down the drain.)
2. In a saucepan, melt the butter and sautť the garlic and onion until they are translucent. Whisk in the flour a little at a time and when itís fully incorporated cook it just a little bit longer before you start adding the spinach liquid a little at a time while whisking. When youíve added the spinach liquid, whisk in the cream or the cream and milk mixture, then the cheese. Whisk until it is melted and the sauce is smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste.
3. Add the drained spinach to the cheese sauce and cook long enough to heat the spinach. If you are adding additional peppers, add them now. (I usually donít.) Taste for seasonings, then serve.
Serves 10 to 12
To borrow a phrase from Laurie Colwin, you now have ďa side dish fit for a visiting dignitary from a country whose politics you admire.Ē Or for feeding your nearest and dearest at the Thanksgiving table.
Human liberty is about courage, dignity, eternal truths, and personal responsibility. Star Parker
Other messages in this thread:
- 10955. Publicly: Sorry for going off topic. Sorry for venting. I won't go any further, regardless. - Michael in Phoenix - 3:57am on 06/08/08 (11)
- Accepted, now do a penance - share a good recipe - SueYoung - 4:15pm on 06/08/08
- Sue, you may want to go to "Contact Us" and see if the administrator can change it for you. - MarilynFL - 4:50pm on 06/08/08
- Thanks, I'll give that a whirl. - SueYoung - 2:07am on 06/09/08
- Don't accept tomatoes from Texas. Just kidding, after all they'll be thoroughly cooked.. sue/SoCA [NT] - SueYoung - 2:09am on 06/09/08
- They have said that tomatoes raised in Texas & New Mexico are NOT the culprits [NT] - Melissa Dallas - 12:16pm on 06/09/08
- Now this is scary, I was reading this morning that when tomatoes are picked on very hot days and - Curious1 - 3:38pm on 06/09/08
- And her recipe for creamed spinach and jalapenos is comfort food for me. [NT] - Michael in Phoenix - 7:26pm on 06/08/08
- Michael, have you posted this? Sounds very good to me. [NT] - Curious1 - 3:39pm on 06/09/08
- Thank you Michael. [NT] - Sandy_in_Philly - 11:03pm on 06/09/08