Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
From Hominy Grill Recipes - REC: Banana Bread by Chef Robert Stehling
Joined: Mar 16, 2006
Posted to Thread #11182 at 1:24 am on Jun 28, 2008
"Sliced and griddled in butter, this is easily one of the most popular Sunday brunch items at Hominy Grill. The oats give it a heartier texture than most banana breads. We use really ripe bananas - just when most people would throw them out, we think they're perfect. And if the bread sits for a couple of days, the banana flavor will really develop."
For 1 10 inch loaf, use 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour, sifted; 2 teaspoons double acting baking powder; 1/2 teaspoon baking soda; 1/2 teaspoon salt; 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened, plus more to grease the pan; 1/2 cup dark brown sugar; 1 teaspoon vanilla extract; 1 egg; 3/4 cup whole oats; 1 1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (3 to 4 medium); 2 tablespoons water; plain bread crumbs to dust the pan.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 10 inch bread pan and dust with bread crumbs. Set it aside.
In a medium bowl, sift gegether the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
In a large bowl, beat the butter until creamy, about 30 seconds. Add the sugar and the vanilla and beat until well mixed. Add the egg and continue beating until fluffy and pale in color. Add oats, mashed banana, water, and beat until smooth. Add the dry ingredients and beat until just combined.
Scrape the batter into the pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 55 to 60 minutes.
Cool the pan on a rack for 5 to 10 minutes before removing loaf. Let the loaf cool completely on the rack.
Other messages in this thread:
- 11182. Hey y'all -- just came back from a week in Charleston, SC. Check out Hominy Grill's Squash Casserole - PatBastrop - 4:09am on 06/26/08 (7)
- It's a great place, isn't it Pat! Did you get their cookbook? Did you know they have - MarilynFL - 4:00pm on 06/26/08
- Yes, I bought their little cookbook! - PatBastrop - 8:11pm on 06/26/08
- Hi Pat, is there a recipe for the banana starter or is that meant - Dawn_MO - 11:21am on 06/27/08
- There is a recipe for the banana bread, but it doesn't have a starter...I'll post it tonite! [NT] - PatBastrop - 10:47pm on 06/27/08
- I just got a msg. from Breadtopia today that he has a new starter for banana bread using whole wheat [NT] - Marsha tbay - 12:24am on 06/28/08
- From Hominy Grill Recipes - REC: Banana Bread by Chef Robert Stehling - PatBastrop - 1:24am on 06/28/08
- thank you thank you! This sounds very much like the dish served at Ma Hopkins in Pensacola. It was - AngAk - 5:23pm on 06/26/08