Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.

Close
MarilynFL

Botox-ing Nancy Silverton's Bran Muffins

Veteran Member
15898 posts

Options

Posted to Thread #11272 at 1:15 pm on Jul 3, 2008

You know how when you see Joan Rivers, you're not <i>really</i> seeing Joan Rivers. You're actually seeing plastic surgeries and botox injections and browlifts and implants and buried somewhere in there is funny, ascerbic Joan.

Well, that's what I've done to Nancy Silverton's bran muffins. I posted her recipe at #10880 [see link] and after making 6 batches, realized I have <i>yet</i> to follow her exact recipe. I've never made it with pureed raisins. I was out the first time, so I used dates and its sweet flavor made me so happy I've used dates ever since. Plus I've cut down the fat to add more back in with walnuts. I've added cranberries, flax and museli and the recipe below is the one I can honestly call Tried and True.

Therefore...I'm preposting the Moyn'd bran muffin that makes my intestinal track thank me and for which I in turn thank Nancy for her inspiring recipe.

2 C unprocessed bran
1 C pitted dates
1 C water
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 tsp pure orange oil
1/4 cup Splenda Brown Sugar blend
1/3 cup veggie oil
1 extra large egg
1/2 eggshell filled with liquid eggwhites
1/2 C water
1/2 C prepared applesauce (those little cups)
1/2 cup flat oat museli
1/2 cup unbleached AP flour
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup ground flax seed
1/4 cup oat bran
1 C dried cranberries
1 C roasted walnuts, chopped
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt

Spread the bran and walnuts on a baking sheet, toast at preheated 350 degrees for 8 minutes and stir to avoid burn spots. Chop the walnuts.

In a small saucepan, simmer 1 cup of dates and 1 cup of water over low heat until the water is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Puree with a stick blender. Spread puree on a dinner plate and put in freezer to cool. [Leave it too hot and it might cook the eggs.]

Wiz the buttermilk, extra 1/2 C water, oil, brown sugar, eggs, orange oil (zest if I've got it) and applesauce with the stick blender. Wiz in the cooled puree.

Pour the bran into a large bowl and add the liquid stuff.

Sift the flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into the bran mixture; add the museli, flax, cranberries and chopped walnuts.

Scoop the batter into 12 papered muffin tins (regular size).

Bake for 25 minutes, until the muffins are well browned and firm to the touch.

yield: 12 muffins
Store in frig if around longer than 2 days.

[edited on July 24: added oat bran and slightly increased oil. Also renamed them as the <i>Super Duper Pooper Muffins.</i>

Link: http://eat.at/swap/forum/index.php?action=display&forumid=1&msgid=85294

Jesus saves. Buddha recycles.

Other messages in this thread: