Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
|Michael in Phoenix||
Family favorite (REC): Banana Cake w/ White Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
Joined: Dec 9, 2005
Posted to Thread #11384 at 5:38 pm on Jul 14, 2008
Just so no banana ever goes to waste:
My family loves this banana cake recipe, which always turns out a bit coarser than a cake, and a bit lighter than banana bread. It makes about 20 decent-sized cup cakes, and could be used to make muffins if you oil and flour the tins.
From an old copy of BH & G Cookbook
2 tsp. lemon juice, plus milk to make 2/3 cup
2 1/3 cup sifted all-purpose flour
1 2/3 cup sugar
1 1/4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2/3 cup shortening
2/3 cup mashed VERY RIPE bananas (about 2 medium)
2/3 cup chopped walnuts
Place 2 tsp. lemon juice in a measuring cup. Add milk to make 2/3 cup, set aside to curdle.
Sift into a large bowl: flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
Add to flour mixture: shortening, mashed bananas, sour milk; mix until all flour is dampened. Beat vigorously 2 minutes. Add eggs; beat 2 minutes longer. Stir in walnuts.
Bake in 2 greased and floured 9" round cake pans for 35 minutes in a pre-heated 350- degree oven. Cool 10 minutes in pans. Remove; cool on racks.
Wonderful with cream cheese and white chocolate frosting: Melt one 11 oz. package of white chocolate chips in the micro (careful not to scorch!). Cool slightly, but while still melted add to two 8 oz bricks of cream cheese that you've creamed in a mixer. Blend well, on high speed with a flat beater, until fluffy. Add one cup (to taste) powdered sugar, to adjust sweetness.
For cupcakes, fill cupcake cups 3/4 full and bake for about 20 minutes, testing with a toothpick until it comes out clean.
For muffins, grease and flour tin, and fill to desired height (I fill mine to just under the edge, so I get a nice "cap") and bake for about 20 minutes until done (see cupcakes, above).
Human liberty is about courage, dignity, eternal truths, and personal responsibility. Star Parker
Other messages in this thread:
- 11384. Family favorite (REC): Banana Cake w/ White Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting - Michael in Phoenix - 5:38pm on 07/14/08 (4)
- I doubled this recipe over the weekend since I had the bananas. I used four... - Michael in Phoenix - 5:42pm on 07/14/08
- did you invent this icing? how clever and easy. must try. [NT] - AngAk - 6:36pm on 07/14/08
- My invent. Sometimes a little squeese of lemon juice works well, if you... - Michael in Phoenix - 6:39pm on 07/14/08
- Oh my gosh, I have to try that icing! [NT] - Lana in FL - 12:16am on 07/16/08