Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Rec: Cheddar, Vegetable & Sausage Strata....I know you said dinner
Joined: Dec 15, 2005
Posted to Thread #11542 at 12:06 am on Jul 31, 2008
and appetizers but this dish is so good. I love serving this when we have weekend guests on Sunday kinda brunchish time with a platter of different cut fruit and juices. It's hearty and just sooo tasty. I always get the different ingredients ready before guests arrive and then just put the custard on the night before.
Cheddar, Vegetable & Sausage Strata
Recipe By : Bon Appetit
Serving Size : 6
9 1" thick slices French bread -- each 3x5"
5 large eggs
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups half and half
2 cups packed sharp cheddar cheese -- grated
1/2 green pepper -- cut in strips
15 cherry tomatoes -- cut in half
6 ounces kielbasa -- cut 1/2 inch thick
2 tablespoons onion -- minced
fresh parsley -- chopped
Butter 13x9x2" glass baking dish. Fit 8 bread slices in prepared dish. Cut remaining bread slice into 1" cubes; fit cubes into any empty spaces. Whisk eggs, mustard, basil and salt in medium bowl to blend; whisk in half and half. Ladle custard over bread. Cover; chill at least 2 hours or overnight.
Preheat oven to 350 F. Sprinkle mixture in dish with black pepper. Top with half of cheese, then bell pepper, tomatoes, sausage, onion and remaining cheese. Cover loosely with foil. Bake 20 minutes. Remove foil. Bake until strata is set and springy to touch, about 20 minutes longer. Cool 5 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Link: Cheddar, Vegetable & Sausage Strata
Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we may diet.
Other messages in this thread:
- 11542. Settling in... company on the way....help - mboley - 6:48pm on 07/30/08 (16)
- pizzas on the grill. there are several threads on this, and we tried it for the 4th and it was [LINK] - AngAk - 8:42pm on 07/30/08
- Two great appetizers that can be made ahead-Spinach Stuffed Mushrooms & Blue Cheese Broiled Tomatoes - Meryl - 8:49pm on 07/30/08
- No one likes blue cheese but me... think Feta or Goat cheese would work? - mboley - 9:10pm on 07/30/08
- Yes, either would work! [NT] - Meryl - 9:26pm on 07/30/08
- Rec: Cheddar, Vegetable & Sausage Strata....I know you said dinner [LINK] - orchid - 12:06am on 07/31/08
- Melissa, I posted Lemony Moroccan-Style Chicken Kebabs here & several people tried it and loved it - [LINK] - Meryl - 12:38am on 07/31/08
- Here are some notes from SandyinPhilly [NT] [LINK] - Meryl - 12:42am on 07/31/08
- I haven't made them in a while and have needed ideas lately-I'll have to make them again. They are - Melissa Dallas - 12:25pm on 07/31/08
- By the way, are you interested in some main dish salads? Curried Couscous Salad w/ Dried Cranberries - Meryl - 12:45am on 07/31/08
- Please Post. Sounds like ideas for my weekend guest. TIA [NT] - Brooksie - 1:23am on 07/31/08
- Here's one I was going to make... post yours too please! - mboley - 1:35am on 07/31/08
- Here ya go, you two: Curried Couscous Salad with Dried Cranberries... [LINK] - Meryl - 3:43am on 07/31/08
- Thai-Style Pasta Salad - Meryl - 3:43am on 07/31/08
- I gotta ask: How can you eat 1/2 lb noodles with 3/4 cup peanut butter on the. . .? - mistral - 4:18am on 07/31/08
- Not so in this case. If you look at the other ingredients, they more than adequately thin out the - Meryl - 4:26am on 07/31/08
- Indeed, lots of TBS of liquid ingredients in this recipe... [NT] - Sandy_in_Philly - 4:49am on 07/31/08