Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
If you don't mind firing up the oven -- a roast chicken that cooks itselfQ
Joined: Mar 16, 2006
Posted to Thread #11952 at 1:31 pm on Sep 14, 2008
Excerpted from Thomas Keller's Bouchon
One 2 to 3 pound farm raised chicken
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons minced thyme
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Rinse the chicken, then dry it very well with paper towels, inside and out. The less it steams, the drier the heat, the better. Salt and pepper the cavity, then truss the bird.
Now, salt the chicken -- I like to rain the salt over the bird so that it has a nice uniform coating that will result in a crisp, salty, flavorful skin (about one tablespoon). Season to taste with pepper.
Place the chicken in a saute pan or roasting pan and put it in the oven. Leave it alone -- don't baste it, don't add butter. You can if you wish, but it will add steam, and as mentioned above, dry heat is best.
Roast until done, 50 to 60 minutes. Remove it from the oven and add the thyme to the pan. Baste the chicken with the juices and thyme and let it rest for 15 minutes on a cutting board.
Remove the trussing twine. Separate the middle wing joint and eat it immediately (share the other one if you must). Remove the legs and thighs. Take off the backbone and eat one of the oysters (again, share the other one only if you are very generous). Cut the breast down the middle and serve it on the bone, with one wing joint still attached. Slather the meat with fresh butter and serve mustard on the side.
This is the best recipe for roast chicken I have ever found -- but it does really mess up the oven!!!!
Other messages in this thread:
- 11952. Help. Have chicken, lack ideas... - EvaN - 9:19am on 09/14/08 (24)
- REC: Silver Palate Chicken... - charlie - 10:55am on 09/14/08
- Paul Bocuse's REC: Chicken in Vinegar Sauce... - charlie - 11:02am on 09/14/08
- REC: Chicken with Mustard & Tarragon Cream Sauce.... - charlie - 11:05am on 09/14/08
- How can you go wrong with mustard, brandy, cream and tarragon? Yummmy! [NT] - PatBastrop - 1:14pm on 09/14/08
- REC: Jean Anderson's Oven-Fried Chicken... - charlie - 11:14am on 09/14/08
- Chicken with Brown Rice - This one does cook itself. - rhoward2va - 12:52pm on 09/14/08
- Chicken Backed in Foil - rhoward2va - 12:53pm on 09/14/08
- Chicken Baked in Foil - BBQ - rhoward2va - 12:54pm on 09/14/08
- The sound of this sauce is making my mouth water, I love piquant sauces. Do you use - Pat-NoCal - 12:02am on 09/15/08
- I use good old French's prepared mustard [NT] - rhoward2va - 1:45am on 09/15/08
- If you don't mind firing up the oven -- a roast chicken that cooks itselfQ - PatBastrop - 1:31pm on 09/14/08
- That one's a favorite here too. Sometimes I do two chickens so I can have extra [LINK] - Pat-NoCal - 11:42pm on 09/14/08
- This is what we're having for dinner tonight. Parmesan chicken on salad bed. - emtd - 3:24pm on 09/14/08
- My fave, very old and simple: Tarragon, Mustard Chicken - Marg CDN - 3:51pm on 09/14/08
- Marg, do you pour the mustard tarragon sauce over the chicken prior to - Pat-NoCal - 11:59pm on 09/14/08
- Oh, this shoes how old the recipe is. Yes it bakes with the chicken. Thanks Pat. [NT] - Marg CDN - 12:33am on 09/15/08
- Sounds like a winner, Marg. [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 12:45am on 09/15/08
- Rec: Roast Chicken with Oregano and Lemon. Your fresh corn would go nicely with this. - Pat-NoCal - 4:28pm on 09/14/08
- Sounds great - thanks, Pat! [NT] - Meryl - 9:45pm on 09/14/08
- You're welcome. It's nice served with a good Greek salad too. [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 11:39pm on 09/14/08
- Here is my everyday chicken: Put chicken parts in a buttered Pyrex dish, skin side up, - Joe - 4:29pm on 09/14/08
- REC: Pistachi Crusted Chicken with Mustard Cream Sauce -- my family adores this! [NT] [LINK] - cheezz - 4:17am on 09/16/08
- oh, and you might look at one of the other 28 recipes I posted with this one, at that link *g* [NT] - cheezz - 4:18am on 09/16/08
- rvb posted this handy list of easy chicken preparations. [NT] [LINK] - AngAk - 7:21pm on 09/24/08