Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Beautiful fennel at Central Market -- REC: Fettucini with Fennel and Cream
Joined: Mar 16, 2006
Posted to Thread #11953 at 8:51 am on Sep 14, 2008
Rec: Fettucini with Fennel and Cream -- delicious, make ahead!
Adapted over the years from Bon Appetit January, 1992
6 T unsalted butter
1 large fennel bulb, thinly sliced lengthwise
white part only
1 mayan sweet or vidalia onion, sliced as the
Saute these ingredients together for about 8
Add 1/4 cup tomato paste, 2 T ground fennel
seed*, 1 T rubbed sage and 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg. Stir one minute.
Increase heat to high and add 1 cup dry
sherry or white wine or even apple juice. Boil gently until liquid is reduced by half
(about 5 minutes).
Add 1 cup heavy cream -- cook gently until desired consistency is achieved.
Cook 12 oz fettucini in salted water until al
dente. Add sauce to pasta and toss to mix
well. Serve hot with freshly grated parmesan reggiano and freshly ground pepper.
Make ahead: I have the sauce and pasta waiting separately until serving time. Heat each carefully (separately in the microwave) and toss together in a large wooden bowl.
This is beautiful as a luncheon dish. A
light salad -- either romaine or fruit, and
some sourdough rolls are all that is needed
Last night I served it with dredged sauteed pork chops.
*Toast the fennel seeds slightly (until their
fragrance is released) and grind them. I
use an electric coffee grinder I keep only
for spices. Clean it afterwards by grinding
up a crust of bread.
Other messages in this thread:
- 11953. Beautiful fennel at Central Market -- REC: Fettucini with Fennel and Cream - PatBastrop - 8:51am on 09/14/08 (4)
- Thanks for posting. I love fennel, and it doesn't seem to be used often. - KC_ - 2:39pm on 09/14/08
- Here's another great pasta recipe using fennel: Pasta with Roasted Vegetables and Garlic Broth [LINK] - Meryl - 2:49pm on 09/14/08
- Ooh. Fennel...try this. My cookbook group & were practically licking the pan: Lidia Bastianich's - Traca - 5:19pm on 09/14/08
- There is fennel in the delicious corn chowder I posted above. [NT] - Janet in NC - 6:38pm on 09/14/08