Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Capt AR Perfecto ran a DVT (Dawn Viscosity Test) last night...
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #11977 at 4:31 pm on Sep 17, 2008
Took 4 small 3" chinese porcelain flat bowls.
Put 1 tsp of Dawn in each.
1/2 tsp of rubbing alcohol
1/2 tsp of white vinegar
1/2 tsp of water
1/2 tsp of Dawn (control)
Thus, each bowl ended up with 1.5 tsp of fluid.
Laid some rubber-grippy drawer liner stuff (non-technical term) at the top 3" of a large cookie sheet and lined up the bowls touching the rim so they were even.
Dragged Larry (aka Igor) into the laboratory and had him witness a Galileo simulation of the effects of gravity.
Tipped up the far side of the cookie tray, lifting it more and more vertical, which caused the liquids to run to the edge of their bowls and spill over. Kept tipping until all the fluid ran out, almost 70-80 degrees vertical. Captain Perfecto's nether region was all a'quiver at the anticipation of bowls crashing to the countertop, spewing Dawn everywhere.
The rubbing alcohol version won hands down.
The water version came in next
The plain Dawn came in third.
Surprisingly, the vinegar thinned version came in last. Also turned cloudy and even more viscous.
Also noticed the rubbing alcohol version washed off the easiest from the cookie tray.
Captain Perfecto is going to add rubbing alcohol to the remainder of this bottle and see if he likes it. Or he might just pierce his ears and use the rubbing alcohol there, reliving the trauma of his crazy teens.
Can anyone think of a reason why this is a bad or unsafe idea?
Jesus saves. Buddha recycles.
Other messages in this thread:
- 11977. Viscous dish washing liquid(not dishwasher detergent) - arriba - 3:26am on 09/16/08 (29)
- Have you tried adding a few tablespoons of white vinegar? - MarilynFL - 2:55pm on 09/16/08
- It contains "ETHYL ALCOHOL" Maybe you can add some rubbing alcohol...or hootch? [NT] - MarilynFL - 3:04pm on 09/16/08
- Just the opposite. I buy only Ivory Classic. Always diluted it but find it so thin now, I almost - Marg CDN - 4:01pm on 09/16/08
- I bought a cheaper brand today and it is thinner. [NT] - arriba - 5:31pm on 09/16/08
- oops--didn't finish - arriba - 5:36pm on 09/16/08
- You reminded me that I did buy some stuff, Dawn or joy; so thick, I threw it out. Could not dilute. [NT] - Marg CDN - 10:39pm on 09/16/08
- I am curious about it--why do they think thick is good? Maybe some like it? [NT] - arriba - 12:57am on 09/17/08
- Maybe we're meant to think that there is more concentration of /cleaning power'. I just find - Marg CDN - 3:16pm on 09/17/08
- Try "Planet" (more inside) [LINK] - SusanLP - 6:02pm on 09/16/08
- Thanks! I have contacted them to see if they sell in my area [NT] - arriba - 8:58pm on 09/16/08
- I have been buying this laundry detergent called Charlie's through my co-op. - Dawn_MO - 12:13am on 09/17/08
- Geeze, just about every liquid soap/detergent I have tried, I thin. . . - mistral - 3:22pm on 09/17/08
- I buy whatever's cheapest or on sale, and thin it as well if it's thick. I'd rather spend money on - Pat-NoCal - 6:26pm on 09/17/08
- Capt AR Perfecto ran a DVT (Dawn Viscosity Test) last night... - MarilynFL - 4:31pm on 09/17/08
- Perhaps hard on the hands and fingernails? But I enjoyed reading about the test. Too bad our - Marg CDN - 5:26pm on 09/17/08
- HA! Just loved the colorful story :) I would think the alcohol would lend a strong odor? [NT] - cheezz - 10:58pm on 09/18/08
- LOL---you had me at "a-quiver". [NT] - AngAk - 8:17pm on 09/24/08
- Anyone else use good old cheap Ajax? They're probably thick because that causes us to use more. [NT] - Curious1 - 5:16pm on 09/17/08
- I'm cynical. I think "new and improved" actually means "we figured out how to make you pay more." [NT] - Curious1 - 5:17pm on 09/17/08
- Pur no longer makes the replacement water filter under our sink. We have to buy a whole new - MarilynFL - 5:53pm on 09/17/08
- We've run into the same problem with pool parts. Recently read that appliance manufactures aren't - Curious1 - 6:31pm on 09/17/08
- I guess "old and lousy" on the label wouldn't sell very well, huh? *g* [NT] - cheezz - 11:01pm on 09/17/08
- Can't buy Old Dutch anymore either. My kitchen has to have some kind of grit to - Marg CDN - 5:27pm on 09/17/08
- How desperate are you? Ebay has a "BUY NOW" can for $14.99. Bid is at $6.99 [NT] [LINK] - MarilynFL - 6:44pm on 09/17/08
- Oh!! Look at that. Just like 50 years ago. Geez, I bought a plastic 'can' 2 years ago, with the - Marg CDN - 8:18pm on 09/17/08
- Was it Borax? Mined in Death Valley? [NT] - Luisa_Calif - 2:44am on 09/18/08
- Pumicite mined in Mojave desert. Seems to be true, I've read several articles about it. [LINK] - Marg CDN - 1:31pm on 09/18/08
- Well, that was an interesting tidbit. thanks. [NT] - Luisa_Calif - 4:13pm on 09/18/08
- I really need to wear my cheaters, I thought your post said "vicious" soap!! LOL [NT] - Heather_in_SF - 5:22am on 09/21/08