Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.

Close
Pat-NoCal

Yes, I've made dulce de leche quite a few times but only

Veteran Member
6214 posts

Options

Posted to Thread #12120 at 12:54 am on Oct 3, 2008

stovetop covered with water, never in the pressure cooker (I'm too chicken to use pressure cookers...lol). Here's the way I've done it....

Immerse the unopened can of sweetened condensed milk in a pot of water (it's okay to leave the label on the can). Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a slow boil/simmer and cook for 2 hours uncovered, adding water as necessary to keep full. Remove can from the water and let cool. Open the can and you will have fresh dulce de leche.

Pat's note: It's important to make sure there's plenty of water in the pan. I try to keep the can covered just slightly with the water. At work once, one of the chefs was doing something else while the can simmered away and didn't notice the water had boiled out of the pan. Yes, the can blew up and made an incredible mess EVERYWHERE...ceiling, walls, windows, floors...ohmygod, what a mess, and it was hard to get off of some surfaces once it started to harden, especially inside the stovetop hood and fan. But that's never happened to me...I keep a close eye on the water content.

Other messages in this thread: