Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Question on Classic Home Desserts "Grandmother’s Lemon Custard Ice Cream" recipe
Joined: Feb 18, 2006
Posted to Thread #12254 at 11:44 pm on Oct 13, 2008
On page 139, I found excerpts of this cookbook online and copied the ice cream recipe, but it neglects to say at the end to freeze in your ice cream maker according manufacturer's directions.
What is your thoughts?
Grandmother's Lemon Custard Ice Cream
Makes 1 ½ - 2 quarts
Finely grated zest of 3 lemons
½ cup fresh lemon juice
¾ cup sugar
2 cups (1 pint) half-and-half, or 1 ½ cups whole milk
plus ½ cup heavy cream
4 large egg yolks
2 cups (1 pint) heavy cream
Combine the lemon zest and lemon juice; stir in the sugar. Let set for at least 30 minutes. The sugar helps release the flavor of the zest.
Scald half-and-half or milk and cream in a large saucepan over medium heat; then set aside.
In another bowl, whisk the egg yolks and salt with a mixer until blended. Slowly add half of the scalded half-and-half to the eggs and mix gently; return the mixture to the saucepan.
Cook the custard over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon (do not let it boil, or the eggs will curdle). Immediately remove the pan from heat; strain the custard into a large bowl. Stir in the lemon mixture and the heavy cream. Lay a sheet of waxed paper or plastic wrap directly on the surface to prevent a skin from forming, and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled.
Other messages in this thread:
- 12254. Question on Classic Home Desserts "Grandmother’s Lemon Custard Ice Cream" recipe [LINK] - Ann - 11:44pm on 10/13/08 (4)
- Ann, The recipe is incomplete .... here is the rest of it. - GayR - 12:01am on 10/14/08
- I love that book! [NT] - Joe - 12:12am on 10/14/08
- Thank you GayR for for finding it! I appreciate your help. NT [NT] - Ann - 10:20am on 10/14/08
- Happy to help, Ann. [NT] - GayR - 11:41am on 10/14/08