Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Ann... I absolutely guarantee success with this no-fail crust... perfect every time
Joined: Jul 17, 2006
Posted to Thread #12381 at 9:36 pm on Oct 26, 2008
and takes, literally, just minutes!
Easiest Ever Mix Crust (never-fail!)
Better Homes and Gardens Magazine
Makes two 9” crusts
1-3/4 cups flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking powder
2/3 cup shortening (Crisco)
1/4 cup cold water
In small mixer bowl, combine flour, salt and baking powder. Add shortening and beat with an electric mixer on low speed till ces are the size of small peas (about 15-20 seconds). Add water all at once; beat on low speed just till moistened (10-15 seconds). Form dough into a ball then divide in two. Roll as usual.
Note: if making it for strawberry shortcake, you can roll it all out flat, poke around with a fork, and bake on a cookie sheet about 12 min at 425 or until golden. Cool then break into big chunks and put into serving bowls. Top with macerated strawberries and whipped cream.
This is how I do my strawberries... wash, top and slice your strawberries into a bowl. For about every 2 cups of strawberries I add about 3 tbl. white sugar and 2 tbl. brown sugar, dash of salt, 1/2 tsp. vanilla. If I have a little sweet dessert wine around, I'll add 1 or 2 tbl. of that, too. Stir to mix well then let sit about 30 min.
Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out, but I can usually shut her up with cookies!
Other messages in this thread:
- 12381. I'm a bit behind and just read about the "great threads" forum. Is the [LINK] - Barbara in VA - 4:44pm on 10/24/08 (21)
- This is a great thread. Just wanted to mention my aunt's pie crust "secret" - AnnVA - 5:41pm on 10/24/08
- Now that's brilliant. Have to try that. I always eat the edge first to get it over with. [NT] - Shaun in TO - 5:59pm on 10/24/08
- I toss it. Now I'll have to give it another chance with this version. Thanks Ann. [NT] - MarilynFL - 11:09pm on 10/25/08
- we always fought over the edge... I LOVE pie crust [NT] - cheezz - 12:54am on 10/26/08
- You're welcome :) Enjoy the whole slice now! [NT] - AnnVA - 8:51pm on 10/26/08
- with the butter and cinnamon sugar, how did the top crust 'stick' to the bottom one? [NT] - cheezz - 7:07pm on 10/25/08
- I always roll out excess dough and spread with butter, then cinn/sugar so I know what you mean - YUM [NT] - cheezz - 7:07pm on 10/25/08
- That's what Aunt Louise did! She'd make strips, spread the butter & - AnnVA - 6:25pm on 10/26/08
- Ann... I absolutely guarantee success with this no-fail crust... perfect every time [LINK] - cheezz - 9:36pm on 10/26/08
- cheezz, do you chill the dough or rest it before rolling? I really need a no-fail crust - PatBastrop - 9:44pm on 10/26/08
- normally I let it chill for an hour, but if you don't have the time, don't worry - it'll be great! [NT] - cheezz - 4:25am on 10/27/08
- ok, thanks, I'll try it! [NT] - PatBastrop - 10:05pm on 10/27/08
- Thanks cheezz...I'll work up my courage & try this recipe over - AnnVA - 10:23pm on 10/26/08
- Speaking of the non-transfat Crisco, does anyone use the SmartBalance shortening? - PatBastrop - 10:43pm on 10/26/08
- I haven't checked it out at the store, but on last job, got my Sysco order and the cans and lids - Nan - 11:27pm on 10/26/08
- wow, what happened to question about Crisco??? [NT] - Nan - 11:28pm on 10/26/08
- the Crisco I use says "50% less saturated fat than butter"... "all vegetable"... "0g transfat" [NT] - cheezz - 4:28am on 10/27/08
- I don't know how to post on the Greatest threads but Barbara you should post your suggestion and add - dianncy1964 - 7:05pm on 10/24/08
- Just post it like you would any other post, but you just do the subject and the link. [NT] - Meryl - 7:14pm on 10/24/08