#14007: This is fantastic - Bruschetta with Roasted Peppers and Goat Cheese
Posted by: Meryl at 9:02 pm on Mar 2, 2009
BRUSCHETTA WITH ROASTED PEPPERS AND GOAT CHEESE
2 large red sweet peppers
1 large yellow sweet pepper
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Salt and black pepper, freshly ground
Fresh basil leaves, a generous amount, roughly torn or coarsely chopped
8 - 9 thick slices French baguette OR 8 - 9 thick slices country bread
3 - 4 large cloves garlic, peeled and cut in half
Extra virgin olive oil for drizzling, (optional)
5 1/2 ounces soft goat cheese, roughly chopped
1. Preheat the broiler. Roast peppers on an unoiled baking sheet until they start to collapse and the skins blacken, about 15-20 minutes. Turn occasionally so they blacken on all sides. (Or roast them in a preheated oven at 375 F). When done, leave the broiler (or oven) on.
2. Transfer peppers to a bowl and cover with plastic to trap moisture, or put them in a closed paper bag and put the bag in a bowl to catch the leakage. Leave for about 15 minutes or until cool enough to handle.
3. Peel the peppers and remove the stem and seeds.
4. Cut the pepper flesh into strips and place in bowl. Mix in 4 Tbsp olive oil, salt, black pepper, and fresh basil.
5. Lightly toast bread on both sides under the broiler (or in the oven) until golden brown; should be more browned on the edges, and lighter in the middle. ***If using the broiler to toast the bread, keep a close eye on it; it will brown fast, around 50 seconds or less per side.
6. Rub hot bread with the cut side of the garlic cloves.
7. Sprinkle with salt, black pepper, and a little olive oil, (optional) - (I omit this step).
8. Lay the sweet pepper/basil mixture on top and crumble the goat cheese over it.
9. Drizzle over a little more olive oil, (optional) - (I omit this step).
Adapted from my files.
A balanced diet is equal parts of milk and dark chocolate.