#5054: Christmas Eve Menu: "7 fishes"
Posted by: joyce in upstate NY at 5:16 pm on Dec 23, 2006
I've been wanting to try a traditional Christmas Eve Menu using 7 courses of different fish and seafood. The "7 fishes" represent the 7 sacraments. I researched and found some menus, but some of the suggested fish didn't sound as appealing to the family, so we have come up with the following, which actually isn't "traditional" at all, but sounds good, so we will give it a try :)
The 7 fishes/ seafood includes: oysters, shrimp, mussels, scallops, tilapia, salmon and tuna.
1. sauteed oysters (lightly coat oysters in cornmeal, sautee in butter serve over bed of greens)
2. shrimp cocktail w/ sauce
3. mussel soup ( mussels in a cream broth w/ shallots over crusty slices of bread )
4. mesclun green salad, w/ feta, dried cranberries and pecans
5. scallops sauteed w/ chopped onion, chopped red and green pepper
6. linguine w/ red tomato sauce ( opted not to make a calamari red sauce due to family vote --family likes only fried calamari !)
7. Broccoli rabe sauteed w/ garlic and olive oil
7. grilled tilapia, glazed salmon on the grill, grilled ahi tuna, rare.
We will start the festivities in the afternoon and take our time into the evening.
Merry Christmas to All!